What would you think...?

...Of a scenario that is really not within the time frame of the game, but is very playable and challenging.

I have one coming up on the British para raid on the radar station at Bruneval.

I had to pull some tricks out of my hat, but it is interesting to take the building, then fight your way off the map to the supposed shore area and wait for the boats to come in and rescue you.

Of course you can't load boats in the game, only unload them, but you can exit them as though they were climbing aboard the rescue craft.

So even though the dates are wrong, the battle is fun. Thoughts?

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Why not? I suppose some of the people will throw a hissy fit because it doesn't exactly match but I think it would be a hoot. But then I found myself thinking of how I could recreate Rorkes Drift from the Zulu War in CM ... see you take a bunch of HQ units, delete all their ammo ... but they still have grenades ... hmmmm. smile.gif

My guess is that we'll be seeing a LOT stranger things than what you've proposed ... probably not as strange as Rorkes Drift BUT HEY who knows.

Joe

Guest SS Peiper

Hey Wild Bill it does sound Good. But then again I think I have all your scenario's from Steel Panthers-Combat Mission and all have been fun. Well as long as I dont play my Brother(sniperscope) biggrin.gif

SS Peiper

Hey Wild Bill great idea, i love the new downloadable scenarios as wel as builiding them myself. often i can adopt new ideas (esp. for substituting things not in the game)!

------------------

Ron

No pain, no game!

Mr Wilder:

I think it would be an excellent idea. I would play it.

I am currently working on the map for one of the San Pietro (Italy) battles- it is not in the right place or time, but if I can get the map to work to my satisfaction, it should be close enough...

Thanks for the encouragement, fellas. We'll give it a shot. Look for it to be posted real soon, probably in the CHHQ Depot.

I look forward to these Italian, NA projects coming up too.

Don't you love the inventive style of gamers! Can't beat it...!

And watch him Pieper. You know know him better than anyone else wink.gif

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

billw@matrixgames.com

WBW, excellent idea, hit-and-run games sound like fun. Pls post a little ad here or the main forum when they are ready. Thx in adv!

Griffin @ home.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

...Of a scenario that is really not within the time frame of the game, but is very playable and challenging.

I have one coming up on the British para raid on the radar station at Bruneval.

I had to pull some tricks out of my hat, but it is interesting to take the building, then fight your way off the map to the supposed shore area and wait for the boats to come in and rescue you.

Of course you can't load boats in the game, only unload them, but you can exit them as though they were climbing aboard the rescue craft.

So even though the dates are wrong, the battle is fun. Thoughts?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go for it! I have a copy of After the Battle magazine that details that raid and it will be interesting to see how close you come. Not that I want to make you feel on the spot or anything like that. rolleyes.gif

Seriously, if you just have them complete the mission and get down to the beach within the time limit, we can skip the boats.

Michael

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

Thanks for the encouragement, fellas. We'll give it a shot. Look for it to be posted real soon, probably in the CHHQ Depot.

I look forward to these Italian, NA projects coming up too.

Don't you love the inventive style of gamers! Can't beat it...!

And watch him Pieper. You know know him better than anyone else wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill, yes count me in as one who feels free to write any kind of scenario. as i've said before, i appreciate the research that goes into those historically-based scenarios but it's fun to make other scenarios up.

i've made up a couple of south-north scenarios... one based on the cherbourg penninsula... an advance against paratroopers with aa guns and stugs.

another one is based upon italy in the late war, and still another is based on the advance out of the south of france.

i've also been toying with one representing a vgd and ss pz attack on a road leading toward bagstone. the ground is muddy and the slope is 5 meters. there are a rail line and road running through 3 towns on a 1600x800 mapboard and the terrain rises up on one side and down on the other. it is heavy fog at dawn.

on the train track are a tigerII, jagpanther, panther, panther all in a line.

on the road are 2 jgdpzIV and a mark IV tank.

there are supporting infantry riding the vehicles which also include some spw251s.

the vgd will have smgs and be attacking crossways into the first town in the string of towns. their stugs will arive later as reinforcements on the road where the ss are set up at the start.

the americans have some shermans and m10s with a weapons platoon and other units including a heavy dose of 155 and 105 FOs.

the germans have 3 rocket FOs with lots of ammo.

dense woods and marsh and steep slopes going upward and downward on the sides of the 1600m long rail-road corridor... mud, dawn, heavy fog... tons of artillery.

the one thing about north-south in the current version (haven't checked 103 yet) is that the ai will set pillboxes and other things up with an east-west orientation. i noticed that first when designing foggy mountain.

i like combat mission because it allows the scenario designer a 'much finer granularity' in mapboard design than the old squad leader.

i've noticed that in combat mission my early scenarios contain an inordinate ammount of 'elite' troops. this is probably a carry-over from when my buddies and i would sit around and buy elite units in the sl dyos.

i never could get those guys to do a recon or cavalry-type mission.

i sure liked those 152mm russian guns.

in any case yes i would agree that there's an audience for every type of scenario, and from what i've seen and heard, you're one of the best designers out there.

andy

Well thank you Andy! I appreciate that very much. Sounds like you're gonna give me a run for my money, though. I like your ideas.

I think those would be some grand scenarios!

The one with Panzers on the RR tracks sounds intriguing.

Go for it, guys. Let the creative juices flow. Always go one step beyond. You fellas do have that creative spirit.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

billw@matrixgames.com

It sounds like another winner.Giving the size of the combat in CM I'm suprised no one has done a hit and run scenario yet.But leave it to you to think of it.

I wouldn't put the tanks on the RR Andy.I had a Tiger become inmobile on tracks in snow conditions during 1 game.You couldn't imagine my frustration level since he got stuck on turn 3.

As for the Bunker issue you mentioned,I am having the same problem with a scenario I am designing ,except with me they are defaulting to a northnern facing.Yet if I play with the battle with the side with the bunkers they face west just as I had placed them.Go figure.

Guest WildBill

Loki, you'll have to padlock those bunkers to make them keep their facing.

And Andy, I thank you. I will indeed...WB

------------------

Wild Bill Wilder

Wild Bill's Raiders

Director of Scenario Design, The Gamers Net

http://wbr.thegamers.net