Soviet Naval Infantry in CMBB

V

Thats a good question. I think it would only manke sense for them to be added.

I think it would be great if all the uniform varionts from all sides were modeled in the game, but i don'nt think they will have the time to implement them all.

I would be happy if most were implemented, but i am happy enough about tank platoons, vehicle moral and higher resolution graphics.

As cool as it would be to have the Marines modeled, i do not beleive that the battle of Sevastapol is within the scope of the game.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Iron Chef Sakai:

Thats a good question. I think it would only manke sense for them to be added.

I think it would be great if all the uniform varionts from all sides were modeled in the game, but i don'nt think they will have the time to implement them all.

I would be happy if most were implemented, but i am happy enough about tank platoons, vehicle moral and higher resolution graphics.

As cool as it would be to have the Marines modeled, i do not beleive that the battle of Sevastapol is within the scope of the game.<hr></blockquote>

But the game models the eastern front from 41 - 45, right? Sevastopol was fought in late '41 or '42.

-V

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Compassion:

With the regional aspect of the available usits, I can't see why they wouldhn't be in except for time (heck, if there are German security troops, why not?).<hr></blockquote>

I guess if they didn't, it couldprobably be done in a MOD. But I am reading the book "In Deadly Combat" and the author mentions the Soviet Naval Troops which he faced were armed better than the regular Red Army troops they had faced in Poland, and they were better trained.

-V

Soviet Naval Infantry/Marines also participated in the defense of Leningrad, some Baltic seaports and possibly Murmansk (don't know about that though).

I'm guessing that they'll be included (if their TO&E is consistently different from most standard Soviet Rifle/SMG squads). The uniforms however might not be different. I'm not sure if there are any plans to include different headgear or uniforms for them (some units in Leningrad wore black overcoats and were greatly feared as the 'Black Death' - or so one source says). If there isn't time to add the uniforms or even if no hook is provided (which winter uniforms had in CMBO), they could still be moded, but of course every Soviet infantry uniform will come up as this mod.

My guess on this is that there will only be one winter helmet for each side (as it is with CMBO currently). I'm not sure how much effort will be put in for hooks to load up different textures for different units, etc.

Another place where Soviet Naval Infantry/Marines were present at was Stalingrad. A whole division was involved in the defense of the Red Barricades factory complex if I recall correctly. While they valiantly held out for several weeks during the initial German push into the city, they were eventually completely wiped out.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by V:

Will we get to see the blue uniformed Soviet "Marines" which fought around Sevastopol?

<hr></blockquote>

Hmm didnt "Navy infantry" first had black uniform?

If i remember correctly, germans were calling such unints "schwarzentodd" (sorry if wrong spelling), "The black death".

Soviet Naval Infantry did do a fair bit of fighting in the far north, around Murmansk. They gave a rather good account all around, but I cannot claim to know if they used a different TO&E than their army counterparts.

I would like to see them too, although I suspect the sailor uniforms were quickly dispensed with, especially come winter.

And speaking of marines, what about Rumanian Marines, who gave a rather good account fighting down on the Black Sea coast in 1941.

WWB

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gatpr:

I am interested in naval infantry in general and the black death comment is accurate.<hr></blockquote>

In deadly Combat

Gottlob Herbert Bidermann

pg. 54:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>

"The Soviet naval infantry had crept through the thick undergrowth among the trees to within close range of us, and suddenly silent figures clothed in blue-black rose before us like fleeting shadows in the dawn."<hr></blockquote>

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: V ]</p>

Should say straight away that I am not an expert on the subject.

This is wartime winter uniform of "real" naval infantry. As you can see, it's black.

09neproshli.jpg

On the other hand, there were pretty many naval infantry units actually formed from sailors. Those, iirc, had navy blue (i.e. very dark blue) uniforms.

This is from a rather recent time - the guy in the middle is naval infantry. Also black.

mp08.jpg

However, their modern field uniform is camo, just like anybody else. Like here.

d1.jpg

In Stalingrad at least (probably elsewhere, I don't know) naval infantry was ordered to wear normal infantry uniform. The only naval thing they were allowed to keep was the striped shirt, called "telnyashka". You can see it on the second photo above.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Skipper ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Skipper:

Should say straight away that I am not an expert on the subject.

This is wartime winter uniform of "real" naval infantry. As you can see, it's black.

09neproshli.jpg

On the other hand, there were pretty many naval infantry units actually formed from sailors. Those, iirc, had navy blue (i.e. very dark blue) uniforms.

This is from a rather recent time - the guy in the middle is naval infantry. Also black.

mp08.jpg

However, their modern field uniform is camo, just like anybody else. Like here.

d1.jpg

In Stalingrad at least (probably elsewhere, I don't know) naval infantry was ordered to wear normal infantry uniform. The only naval thing they were allowed to keep was the striped shirt, called "telnyashka". You can see it on the second photo above.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Skipper ]<hr></blockquote>

I think the confusion comes from the dark blue overcoats the Soviet Naval Infantry was wearing during the Sevastopol campaign which I am reading in this book. The author says specifically, that the SNI were dressed in blue-black. He also later says that they had to insulate their bunkers with the "blue overcoats" stripped from dead Soviet "marines".

I would like to see pics of these guys, in the uniforms they would have been wearing at the time. The pics you posted did not show up.

-V