Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Armored vehicles - reliability factors?

Just a question to the general population and CMBO developers.

In a lot of the AFV books I've read, plus some of the pre-computer games I've played (Squad Leader) some of the AFVs had reliability problems (early Panthers, King Tigers come to mind). Problems like unreliable engines, turrent traverse, skewed tracks... In the board games this was reflected by something akin to a 'breakdown factor.' Does CMBO account for anything like this? Or is it a matter that by this stage in the war, many of the AFVs were 'battle tested' and not really subject to this (especially in lieu of the time periods [> 60 minutes real time] in the scenarios)?

Just curious!

As Panzerwerfer said, that's out of the scope of CM. With most CM battles lasting only 30-60 minutes the chance of a breakdown would be pretty small.

You can simulate this in scenarios, where your forces or reinforcements miss some vehicles.

Just mention in the briefing that the Panther platoon seems to have some technical problems and only place three (or one, if you're truely evil) on the map...

From my readings, the first 2 times Tigers were used on the Eastern Front, many vehicles broke down with overheating, gearbox trouble, steering trouble, etc right in the middle of combat. Once the troubles were worked out, though, it seems the Tiger (and Panther, etc) were no more/less mechanically reliable "on-battlefield" than other tanks.

DjB