Field modification rarity

Might have been brought up before, might be too late to add, but here is something i was thinking about.

Would it be possible to add a rarity factor for field modifications on vehicles?

ie: You purchase a Kubelwagon and there is X% that it will have a flexable MG on it. Or X% chance that the Panther you just got will have a top MG.

Lots of different field modifications were made to vehicles and i was just thinking of some way to add them without killing realisim too too much.

Perhaps with the engine rewrite? Would love to see stuff like

- sandbag armour

- extra armour plate

- AAMGs for Allied vehicles treated as an "option"

- loader's hatches on certain models of Shermans - so as to directly affect crew survivability

- HVSS vice VVSS

- .30 Browning on jeeps and universal carriers as 'field expedients'

The trouble is in determining how common this stuff actually was; everybody would love to deck their vehicles out as if they were in the SAS, the hard part is finding historical justification for doing so - and then in factoring all the reasons NOT to. Sandbag armour adversely affected the drive train, for example, and while tactical commanders wouldn't give a damn, the fact that senior commanders did would affect their availability.

IIRC, the "+" in the Sherman unit designation refers to extra plating added. . . . YES I HAVE SEEN THE GREAT THREAD ABOUT TANK TITLES ;)

My question is this. . . Is this extra armor plating a result of in-the-field modifictaions by crews, or was the extra plating added in the manufacturing. If the former were correct, then instead of being able to purchese such units before the battle, wouldn't it be more realistic if with every Sherman that you buy, there is a chance that it is a "+" model? This is in accordance with the above suggestion of random field modifications.

Often, I have found myself faced with many shermans. . .each a "+" model. . .I though that they were rare!!! hehehe

I guess that this issue will be nicely taken care of in CMBB, though.

Rarity. . .ahhhhhhh. . . .Those, like myself, who try to avoid gamey-ness whenever possible should find the rarity feature to their liking.

Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

Might have been brought up before, might be too late to add, but here is something i was thinking about.

Would it be possible to add a rarity factor for field modifications on vehicles?

ie: You purchase a Kubelwagon and there is X% that it will have a flexable MG on it. Or X% chance that the Panther you just got will have a top MG.

Lots of different field modifications were made to vehicles and i was just thinking of some way to add them without killing realisim too too much.

hmmm I think I like the basic idea.

Hmmm...a Kübelwagen with extensive sandbagging, two MG 34 and a triple Panzerschreck launcher...

The problem here is that these FlaMG (felxbile AA MG) have been left out intentionally by CMBO IIRC (emphasis is on IIRC). So why should they reintroduce them on a randomized basis?

btw, from the typing and name it seems that ICS is still here - wasn't he banned? has he gotten un-banned?

From IronChef "Sakai"..er, I mean "4" ;)

OK

LET ME SETTLE THIS AGAIN

I AM NOT IRON CHEF SAKAI

THANK YOU

Well, then, who ARE you, mr. masked man?

What is the difference between your "IronChef" and the Other "Iron Chef"?

What is the reason (or origin) of the "IronChef" moniker? Were you twins separated at birth?

Inquiring minds want to know..... :D