Modem Problem with PBEM

Hi All,

Before everyone rakes me over the coals for posting this one, please understand I am desperate

I am having a problem with uploading files that exceed 50kb. I noticed it with my e-mail and first sent a letter to my ISP, they refereed me to my modem manufacture both have little to say that has helped. I figured with all you CM geniuses one of you may be able to help me.

Here’s the problem:

I am able to send e-mail without attachments with no problems. I am able to receive e-mail with no problem. Sometimes I have problems posting on msg board. All failures result in the modem locking up.

If I send an attachment and it exceeds 50kb the mail fails to upload and my computer must be reset (it also disrupts my web service, not allowing any further pages to load). The entire modem locks up and willnot/can not transfer any data.

I use outlook 98 under Win 98 second edition version 4.10 build 2222; on a 667 pent iii; 256 mb, Bios Award v6.0 03/14/00; 56k winmodem V90 Int US/Canada product #00569000 ATIO Speed 560 EPROM 02/19/99 Revision 1.00.016 INF driver Files are inc.3comwinwave.inf and inc.3com569000. IRQ for modem is 10 com3

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance

Scott

My blind guess would be that it's the ISP you're using, and not the modem. But then - I have no clue about stuff like this (accidentally stumbled into the techie forum... and outtahere again) smile.gif

------------------

"An hour has 60 minutes, each minute in action has a thousand dangers."

- Karl-Heinz Gauch, CO 1st Panzerspähkompanie, 12th SS Panzerdivision

Are there any other devices using the same IRQ (10) as your modem ? If another device is using the IRQ, then you could have possible problems like you're experiencing. Your 3Com modem is software based, but it is among the better ones for that category. This is the latest set of infs for your modem. The file is 569000w.exe:

http://consumer.3com.com/winmodem/inf/index.html

You will need a diskette to install the software. If these inf files are any newer than what you have, they may help with your problem.

You may want to check some settings for your modem. Goto Control Panel > Modems > Have your modem highlighted in the list and click the Properties button > click on the Connection tab > click on the Port Settings button. Check to see if you have "Use FIFO Buffers..." check marked. Then make sure the sliders are at one click away from right on Receive and all the way to the right on Transmit. Now click OK if you changed anything or Cancel if you didn't. Click on the Advanced button > and check the following boxes/buttons 1)Error control 2)Compress data 3)Use flow control 4)Hardware.

Have you tried another program other than Outlook 98 ? If you have the Netscape browser you may want to try it's built-in email program to see if it performs any differently. You may want to go to Microsoft's website and perform any updates to the Microsoft software that you have (they have an automated method of doing this - "Windows Update" off the Help menu, usually). Be careful with exercising these updates. Some people have had bad experiences with this process.

I'd really like to offer a solution, but I can't. Although once upon a time on my old EISA machine, I had the EXACT same problem. After spending many hours on my machine, a few tech support calls, and asking around no solution was available. I used this as an excuse to acquire a totally new setup.

Good luck and if you find a solution (for old times sake) definitely let me know smile.gif

Hi all,

I figured out the conflicts within my system. I have a USR winmodem and it needed to have flow control switched to software, the driver updated, and a obscure adjustment to the int string that allows the V.90 to operate but disables the Kflex. If anyone has a similar problem e-mail me and I'll give you an in depth description of my problem and solution.

Some Links that I found very useful:

http://www.modemhelp.org/

http://www.56k.com/

http://www.3com.com/

Thank You all who offered advice and direction.