Screen resolution reset on exit

Bertram

Hi,

I just got the strangest occurance.

I was trying to run CM, while having the internetbrowser and mail minimized (running IE 5.5). CM gave an error (number 1 if I remember correct).

So I clicked ok, exited the internet browser and restarted CM. No trouble. Plotted the turn, running in 1200x1000 res. as usual.

Upon exiting CM my screen resolution dropped to something of 200x300 or lower. Now this seems easy to fix, but in this low a resolution I could not acces the screen resolution tab! It was somewhere below my screen, and I could not get the window to go any higher (no, changing the settings on the monitor didn't help, the window really extended below the screen. Restarting didn't help either).

After much trial and error (and swearing), I finally managed to get another resolution, by hitting <tab> repeatedly and experimenting with the scroll wheel.

Any known reason why this happened?

I am running Windows98, on a P2/400, 128 Mb, SBlive, GForce2 MX, latest versions, latest drivers. CM was version 1.05. Didn't happen again (but I didn't try very hard).

Bertram

[This message has been edited by Bertram (edited 12-28-2000).]

Thanks to MicroSquish and its efforts to tie IE (the browser) into the user interface (Explorer) - the possibilities of problems when you browser crashes are quite significant.

I'm not familiar with what the "error number 1" is (sounds like a Mac) in CM. But whatever happened probably took IE down with it and it in turn messed up your Explorer desktop (especially since CM sets its own resolutions in DirectX).

Unless this happens consistently (or you can reproduce it easily) I wouldn't worry about it.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Loki:

Just right click on an area of the desktop and go to properties. Then click on the settings tab and you can change your resolution.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That wasn't it. Monitor was still set to 960x720 but game was in much lower res. Got fed up with messing with it and uninstalled and, like a fool, reinstalled. Getting pretty fed up with the lucky shots by the computer, especially in Wittmans rampage.