Question About Advance/Assault Operations

Hi Everyone,

I'm a big fan of operations and I think I already know the answer to this but thought I'd get it out into the open anyways.

When the computer calculates front-lines between battles in an advance/assault is more weight given to the position of the attacker or the defender. For example - imagine that a mission takes place at night and a defender gets the bright idea to try and sneak a large force through the attackers line into the rear for the purposes of tricking the computer into pushing the front-line for the next battle back. Or..imagine that both attacker and defender advance a similar distance in a night battle. Do the 2 advances cancel one another and the front line will come out being more or less the same or is extra weight given to the attacker's advance with the defenders who dared advance being cut-off at the start of the next battle?

Right now I get the impression that the attackers position at the end of a battle is what is most used for the front-line calculation and that there is really little to be gained by a defender avoiding contact to try and sneak troops deep.

Anyone else have a similar feeling?

Don't quote me on this but it seems to me that the computer takes the Attacker's unit that has advanced furthest and makes that point the middle of no mans land. Each side will then be "pushed back" according to half the no mans land setting. If the seeting is 200 meters then each side will be pushed back 100 meters.

That's just my experience from playing the first operation in the list.