the city rush hour

i have been playing a number of QB ME in the past, and most of them have involved a city/village in the middle. the first couple turns seem to involve everyone rushing into the city/village and taking the best building. a very bold, but effective move at times. to me it is easier to do this BEFORE artillery can be called down, and you can usually catch him moving also, and so theres not a lot of incoming fire.

i just wanted to get some opinions on success both using this technique and countering it. is this a common tactic seen on the virtual battlefield?

I like to rush into the village/town and gain a toe hold with approx. half of my infantry. I normally don't rush too far forward, just enough to gain access to some of the two story buildings with good LOS.

I hide the other half of my men in woods/ scattered trees near the buildings as my reserve.

I can normally get everyone in place and hiding by the end of Turn 3.

This has been pretty successful for me so far. Just don't commit too much of your force to occupying buildings because your opponent might have the thumpers to take your newly occupied buildings down.

I'm not a fan of rushing the VL, but I do like it when my opponent does it.

Personally, I favor moving units in a more realistic fashion, i.e. leap-frogging, overwatch, a little recon along the way, etc. It usually takes longer to make contact, but it also usually prevents walking into overwhelming trouble.

When my opponent rushes the VL, the nature of the game now has changed to an attack-defense, with both sides on equal footing in terms of points. And, the defender cannot dig in. I now know where a portion of the opposing force—usually a significant portion—is situated. This opens up a wonderful bombardment opportunity. Arty, smoke, attack.

Most often now, when I play MEs, it's on a third-party map with no VLs.

[ 07-30-2001: Message edited by: Moriarty ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Most often now, when I play MEs, it's on a third-party map with no VLs.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i would like to play with no VL, ive seen a lot of those no VL maps at Combat Missions and various other places, where do you get yours (or anyone else?).

artillery is the best answer for the "rush", excepth largest calliber i have is 105mm usually, and thats a waste on 2nd story bldg. i like it when my opponet runs his armor in, it makes them ALOT easier to kill when you know exactly where they are!

more comments? tactics?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chad Harrison:

i would like to play with no VL, ive seen a lot of those no VL maps at Combat Missions and various other places, where do you get yours (or anyone else?).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A number of people I play against (Cesspool) routinely also are into building maps. If I need one for a game, I'll just post that a map is needed.

Also, keep an eye on some of the CM sites. Der Kessel (www.derkessel.de) has a section for scenarios, ops and "cartography," which includes battle maps. You can d/l these and set up your own scenarios.

The quick, easy way is to have someone auto generate a map in the scenario editor using the parameters that you want. In the parameter window, have the map builder set the number of small and large VLs to zero.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>[QB]

Chad - Thanks for the tips! Might help in a PBEM game! ;) QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

come on tim! you wernt suppost to read this one! shoot! now my 3 companies of infantry will be shot up before i even get to that one house on our map! :eek:

sorry tim, i really dont have 3 companies, and that one building on our map is not that enticing to me. but, it does look awfully nice sitting there in the middle! ready for your moves BTW. good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>sorry tim, i really dont have 3 companies, and that one building on our map is not that enticing to me. but, it does look awfully nice sitting there in the middle! ready for your moves BTW. good luck!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It will be another 3-4 hours. Can't play from work! :(

I think the wisdom of rushing into a town depends on two things : The size of you're force, and the size of the town.

If you have few units and/or there are a lot of buildings, I think It becomes a good way to place ambushes, as long as you keep you're line of sight to the enemy limited, theres no way for him to tell exactly where you put your troopers, and a couple of platoons in a largish town become the proverbial needle in the haystack to find. If you're opponent wastes the time and effort to dig them out, the rest of your forces have an advantage while they manuver. If your oponent ignores the troops in the town, then you have a centrally located reserve which is both fairly well defended, and probably close to at least one VL.

It doesnt keep me from loosing, of course, but it does seem to keep me from loosing as bad as I generally do otherwise. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moriarty:

The quick, easy way is to have someone auto generate a map in the scenario editor using the parameters that you want. In the parameter window, have the map builder set the number of small and large VLs to zero.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been thinking about playing with none VL scenarios but am kinda confused about the scoring.

If I set up a map with no VLs or exit points then how is the points counted? Is it an even mix of captured land and killed troops or is there something else that counts in when counting the overall result of the battle?

I used to do a lot of rushing to hold buildings initially. Then, after a few buildings came down around my ears, or after I got to turn 25 in a 30 turn game and attempted to hold on to a building with squads mostly out of ammo and down 30-50% in strength, I realized that I was not winning these games! Now I move slowly and will rarely move more than a platoon in early on. I'll only occupy heavy buildings and will try to set up an ambush by occupying my side of a big heavy building (just barely entering it) with a couple of squads and having them hide. Most of the time they can't be seen until the building is entered and it's an ugly situation for whomever entered it.

those american dough boys sure do not like it when they find a heavy SMG squad in the middle of a building hiding! that seems to be the most effective method for me to use: get some there and hide the suckers! ambushes bring on great feelings of pride for those pixel troops smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sergeant Saunders:

I have noticed that the forum is very busy during the week, but very slow, except the players wanted section, during the weekends.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe...that's because all of us CM addicts post on the forum from work.

:D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sergeant Saunders:

Have you gotten any converts?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i wish there was someone here i could talk about this with! i am now known as the "world war 2 guy" and everyone here thinks im obsessed with it! guilty. smile.gif

I had to do a presentation to 200 guys the other day at work. I plugged my laptop into the projector, forgetting to launch powerpoint beforehand, so the first thing they saw was my desktop, which of course has a Battlefront POD (CMBB preview) on it. Needless to say, as soon as I fired up the presentation, I got calls of "Hey, bring the tanks back!". Kind of embarressing when you're supposed to be policing the "no games at work" policy. Oops.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by **Gen**TomGun:

im one of the lucky suckers who can play at work most of the time.. :D anyone want to pbem or tcp/ip hollar at me....missit@duo-county.com------tomgun<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is just WRONG!! RUDE! & totally uncalled for. I am so envious, even my fingernails are turning green! :mad: