Withdraw command worthwhile?

Withdraw is great when you need a squad to relocate - FAST! Withdraw eliminates any command delay. Your men will pack up and leave first thing. They may well suffer a morale hit for doing so, but it gets them out of harms way fast.

I've begun using it more and more. I like to plant a platoon-sized ambush back by a rifle platoonm maybe 100 meters behind. After the ambush is tripped and I feel I've gotten the better of the attacker, I'll often use Withdraw to get them out of Dodge before the Arty comes, or before they get their act together and can pin the ambushers down.

Just my 2 cents.

Theres a withdraw command??????? WHERE?????

OMG, I can't believe I didn't know.

Holy crap, just can't believe I've been playing this for sooo long and I've never noticed it.

My poor troops have payed for this blunder dearly.

[ February 02, 2002, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Wanderer ]

Originally posted by Lah:

I use the withdraw command all the time.

Hmmmm don't sound too good that :rolleyes:

In my last LAN Action Quake 2 session there was one guy playing for the first time and he wanted to use the keyboard layout I had. So I gave him the cfg file and he did quite good all morning.

At lunch break time I noticed he had a mouse with only two keys and I asked him what he did to the go-backwards key, which is on the middle mouse key in my setup. He claimed he didn't notice it was missing...

To this day I think it was psychological warfare at its best :cool:

One should use the 'withdraw' command most frequently whenever one is outgunned and/or when one has to get away from the enemy & their fire instantaneously. :eek:

As for the quality of troops that 'withdraw' is most useful, 'withdraw' is most useful for conscript & green troops. Normally, these crappy troops have 20, 30 second, or longer command excution delays. With the 'withdraw' command, the crappos split the scene just like the cracks & elites. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Also, sometimes, 'withdraw' can help troops (especially the crappos) 'begin' a lateral move behind the lines toward new positions.

When, using 'withdraw' frequently, well, & without hesitation, one will be well rewarded.

Cheers, Richard :D:D:D

[ February 03, 2002, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: PiggDogg ]

Originally posted by lassner:

I have found that command to be the single most useful in the game. I only wish they had one for tanks!

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! How many times have I wanted one of my tanks to BACK UP! JUST BACK UP NOW!!! But alas, it doesn't happen and then there's one more crew wandering the landscape. Even dragging a red waypoint to the vehicles rear doesn't seem to get them out of harms way quickly enough.

[ February 03, 2002, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Boo_Radley ]

Couple of things to keep in mind;

1> The troops suffer some sort of a morale hit.

2> If you've got a open area behind you that the withdraw is going to go through they become easy targets.

I tend to use it if I can get away and back into cover quick, or have some smoke or something to obscure the withdraw route. If the enemy is close with good LOS, you are probably just as well off to stay and try and fight it out somtimes. Also you get a couple shots in yourself when you use the FAST command.

Weasle,

I must clarify my opinion a bit that was in my earlier post in this thread.

When one uses 'withdraw', one should 'properly' withdraw. A 'proper' withdrawal occurs as much as possible through covering terrain (woods, buildings, depressions) out of enemy fire and ends in covering terrain out of enemy fire. If one does this, they should not be easy targets. :eek:

If one's troops are outgunned and will almost surely lose that immediate firefight, they should 'properly' withdraw. Every second that troops remain in superior enemy fire will cause them to suffer additional unneccessary casualties. :eek: Bad, bad. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers, Richard tongue.giftongue.gif:D

[ February 03, 2002, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: PiggDogg ]