Using "hunt" with tanks

I apologize if this an RTFM question, but how do I use hunt to pop out from behind cover, take a shot, and then reverse back to safety. It seems that if I set a tank to hunt and reverse in a single turn, it emerges from cover, engages the target and continues to engage to the end of the turn. This is great if you have German tanks, but not so good if you have Allied tanks. An Allied tank that stays engaged often becomes a bonfire. Is there a way to pop out of cover, take one shot or two, and disengage?

Thanks

Good Trick, Joe Private. After cresting the hill at the end of the 60 second turn before the tank reverses, you may elect to pause at beginning of the next turn if there are no immediate threats. Stay up long enough to do some damage. If there are threats, just let your tank execute the plotted reverse order and you will not have any command delay.

------------------

"Act after having made assessments. The one who first knows the measures of far and near wins - this the rule of armed struggle." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Guest hal9000

This is what I usually do: if the target is in sight, issue a fire command even if the target is out of los, use the fast command to pop up into los, and then use the reverse command to go back into cover. This way, the tank will emerge from cover, pop off a shot, and duck back just as quickly.

Another point to consider is where exactly you position your "HUNT" waypoint. Ideally you want to place it just at the crest of the hill (maybe even below to achieve a "hull-down" position). If you place the waypoint too far over the crest, your tank will stop and engage before the way point is completed, then continue to advance to complete the order.

In short, get down in #1 view and make sure you set the waypoints right - it'll keep your tankers alive for another turn.

One thing to add to all those great ideas above, try to be sure to move at an angle forward and an angle backward as well. Moving stright forward and straight backwards gives the enemy a better chance to hit you. So move onto the crest traveling slightly to the right, stop, shoot, reverse back slightly to the right again. Your path would now look like an upside down "V". Get it?

smile.gif

You may want to check the link in my sig below for tips on this sort of thing, with illustrations.

[Edit: nevermind, looks like Combat Missions really is gone now frown.gif ]

------------------

New to Combat Mission?

Visit CM Boot Camp at Combat Missions for tips.

"90% of the crucial decisions in this business are made by idiots who don't even play games." Cliff Bleszinski

[This message has been edited by Gremlin (edited 02-28-2001).]

Originally posted by Gremlin:

You may want to check the link in my sig below for tips on this sort of thing, with illustrations.

[Edit: nevermind, looks like Combat Missions really is gone now frown.gif ]

Gremlin I just wanted to commend you on the above mentioned turorial, I used your "hunt on the crest of a hill method" to very fine results in a battle I just completed. Took out 2 nme mobile arty pieces.

------------------

Lt.Reaper

Thanks for the feedback. It's great to hear that players have gotten something useful from those tutorials. I'm going to revise and update them and find a home for them soon, if all goes well.

------------------

"90% of the crucial decisions in this business are made by idiots who don't even play games." Cliff Bleszinski

apologies to you Gremlin. My post above was an attempt (at first) to direct someone to your tutorials (which I have raved about before) but was unable to remember the proper address and the address I saved in my Favs wouldn't allow me to connect before I posted my message. So in that event I tried to go from memory and explain the maneuvers you had there.

For all you wanting to know about artillery go to that same site! Best read I found so far smile.gif