Quick and totally unscientific poll...

I'm working on a site that will host some of my home-made maps for download and I'd like to check:

1. Do many scenario designers actually use pre-made maps?

2. If so, what kind of terrain/feature/sizes would people most like to see?

3. I had great fun doing the Waterloo map, so I'll probably be having a go at some other famous battlefields too. Are there any that people would like to see?

Any feedback gratefully appreciated.

I think this is a great idea. Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as you, apparently. I like making accurate maps of specific areas but have trouble achieving the desired battle results when I add forces to them. Thus, I'd rather leave that to others and instead just make the maps. If you're interested, I'll send you some of my maps for your site.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.

Greek and Roman battles are tough to do, because the sites are often not known exactly, and many have changed much since the fighting occoured. But we do have very good descriptions or know the exact locations of the following battles:

Battle of Mons Grippus (England, Mid 1st Century AD, description of the battle and the field is in Tacitus' Agricola).

The Varian Disaster (9 A.D.; Northern Germany) While Roman sources do not pinpoint this battle, recent archaelogy has uncovered the site of what was undoubtedly Varius' last stand. Cf. The Journal of Roman Studies.

The Battle of the Granicus (333 BC; Northwestern Turkey, description in Plutarch, the Life of Alexander)) While there is some debate about the location of this battle, it has been pinned down to a very small area. I have actually walked what was the probable field, and can get the articles on the subject if need be.

The Second Battle of Bedracium (70 AD, on the eastern outskirts of modern Verona, Italy. Description in Tacitus' Histories): We possess a very good blow-by-blow of this battle, one of the most confusing in history. Not only was it a night engagement, but it also happened to be Roman fighting Roman, using the same uniforms and commands. The site of this battle has been pinned down very well too.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Originally posted by Bullethead:

I think this is a great idea. Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as you, apparently. I like making accurate maps of specific areas but have trouble achieving the desired battle results when I add forces to them. Thus, I'd rather leave that to others and instead just make the maps. If you're interested, I'll send you some of my maps for your site.

You experience with scenario design seems to match mine exactly. Yes, I'd be pleased to host any maps you care to send on - thanks.

GonzoAttacker: I'll also be taking 'requests' from anyone who wants a map tailor-made, so if anyone has a pet battle they want covered, I'll give it a go provided I can find/be provided with enough raw material to work with.

My next map is to be Ligny/Quatre Bras (I might be able to scale it down a bit to get them both on the one map) followed by Borodino and maybe Austerlitz. I've also been thinking about a miniature Stalingrad, or perhaps MonteCassino. I'm thinking of these maps not merely as bases for scenarios but also as a possible visual aid for anyone reading an account of a particular battle, so even if a map wouldn't be all that playable for CM, I would still give it a shot, if that makes sense. I think that the CM map engine is too powerful a tool to use for CM alone. smile.gif

Regards,

[This message has been edited by Holdit (edited 02-16-2001).]

Fighting on historical battlefields (with historical landmarks listed i.e. sunken road at Antietam) would be quite pleasing.

A couple of map ideas:

1. Make the maps huge so units can maneuver out of sight/out of range. Suitable for the indirect approach.

2. Use the topographic maps of large U.S. cities but eliminate most or all buildings. Leave some bridges. Identify topographic landmarks.

A final question. How would I play on a premade map? Wouldn't the parameters of the game, as they are now, now allow a QB? In addition if it was PBEM wouldn't one player have to purchase both sides units?

------------------

"Too much of a good thing...

is wonderful." -- Mae West

Louie the Toad said:

A final question. How would I play on a premade map? Wouldn't the parameters of the game, as they are now, now allow a QB? In addition if it was PBEM wouldn't one player have to purchase both sides units?

A pre-made map is really a scenario or operation file with no units at all. To use it, somebody has to add units to both sides and do all the stuff needed to make a full scenario or operation EXCEPT make the map. I don't think it's possible to use a pre-made map in a QB.

------------------

-Bullethead

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria.