Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Global Moral can be a real bummer

I did a search and saw some discussion about how Global Moral (GM) gets lowered due to split squads and unit losses. But little has been said about the effect of GM on game play.

Does anyone find it de-motivating to continue a game after they experience early losses?

I like the concept of having to respond to setbacks by filling gaps and revamping plans mid-battle as a test of one's tactical skills. But after losing some units, I also have to deal with the loss of effectiveness of what I have left. It's a positive feedback loop: Losing units leads to decrease in GM, which leads to decreased spotting, to-hit and individual moral, which leads to losing more units...

Does anyone else feel this way?

Is there any way to counter-act this effect?

Can I raise my GM in anyway (besides reuniting split squads)?

I remember one poignant experience w/ Global Morale.

I had no tanks in an area of the map where the Opfor's PzIV was threatening. So I ambushed it w/ the following:

Front:

Vet. Bazooka at 165m (had to go for the 'hail mary')

Reg. 40mm Bofors AA at 450m (low kill chance vs. the 51mm turret)

Front-Right:

Vet. 60mm mortar at 150m

Right flank:

Reg. Greyhound

The key was to get the Panzer to turn left when my Greyhound engaged it as the 'Hound dodged back'n'forth behind some woods. Either the 'Hound or the Bofors should get a flank shot, esp. the Bofors w/ its high accuracy.

Instead, the Bofors didn't fire, prolly b/c the kill chance was "low." The zook missed 5 shots before setting his house on fire. The Greyhound missed/ricochets shots until the Panzer KO'd him. And the mortar (argh!) fired smoke against my will, obscuring the Panzer by turn's end.

Moral of the story: The friggin' Bofors...didn't open fire until *after* the Greyhound was dead, leading me to believe that it only fired vs. a "low" kill chance target once my Global Morale had dropped enough (from the death of my Greyhound) for the TacAI to "feel desperate."

Its small beans really, CMBO still kicks ass.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]</p>

i'm sure irl commanders hated the look on their mens faces when they saw those 6 shermans who were supposed to protect them wacked by 3 stug3's in anbush.

i consider it one more way CM kicks ass. though i dont think loosing a squad or 2 early should be all that devistating.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Soddball:

Hey, Silvio you old tart, that sounds like a familiar game. tongue.gif <hr></blockquote>

A-yuh, that was a dandy- even w/ both of our armored blunders.

How's the Onion business going? From the sound of things, you'll be able to land a job in economics or cartography by week's end.

Kill 'em dead,

S.M.