Agressive defensive strategy

This involves keeping static forces (MGs, mortars, some inf, guns, etc.) to form a conventional MLR, while sending tanks (preferably T-34/85s) and M5-mounted pioneers through a covered route along flank. What happens is that the enemy gets held up by my MLR, then they get slaughtered by my T-34/85s from the rear. The pioneers then descend on the enemy inf, supported by static heavy weapons, armor, and M5-mounted MGs. The remaining inf. also attacks, squashing the enemy inf. btwn the two. The only problems with this are: 1) It needs a covered advance route, and 2) the weakened MLR needs to hold. Any thoughts on this, and does anyone have similar strategies?

At the very least the attack group runs into too many guns, and from too many directions. There is no place whatsoever for halftracks, they will be dead after a minute. Your tanks will get flank shots unless the attacker has all his armor at one point.

This is triky situation: on one hand your tanks must have good side armor, but on the other hand they must be fast.

You will run into a rate-of-fire problem. They will be too many targets to shoot with your too few guns. You can solve that by bringing some 45mm-class armed tanks, but they are thin, they may not arrive at the show.

How do I know all this? I tried to pull off exactly this stunt in CMBO, and failed miserably although I spent quite some time in preparation smile.gif

Well this is something you don't see enough of..a tatics thread on the main forum.

First off a picture would help. I am not sure how you can garauntee a "cover flank" approach.

You are describing a "hammer and anvil" move. It can be done but normally it is an opportunity, not so much a deliberate thing.

The problem being that the enemy hardly ever cooperates. If you form a solid reserve and have it ready to go to a flank and the enemy commits without flank security you could be onto a good thing.

You may want to think about a mobile defence which draws your opponent along the flank you want. Obstacles and stiffer resistance where you don't want him to go.

You then could be onto something. But to be honest it probably will only work on newbies. As one gets into this game, paranoia sets in and flank sec MGs and Guns are the norm. Or even a Res tank pl. You could then find yourself spread out and in trouble pretty quick.

What you are describing is for MEs only. Never try it on a defence, because you will lack the combat power to pull it off. Maybe as the Russians because there stuff is cheap and if the terrain cooperates but those will be rare occassions.

Problem with a QB ME is the start lines are too far back so your MLR may be difficult to establish where you want it. This sounds like a scenario ME gameplay, against a newer opponent.

You would probably be better served in giving ground and luring your opponent into a really good killing ground for a counter attack, in your own lines. This means you still get the flank but have to travel less distance for it and the remainder of your MLR will act as a sec screen.

Kicks land harder but are a lot harder and take longer to get there. Plus they leave you open and possibly off balance.

A good short sharp hook will still ring someone's dial and has a much better chance of landing. It also allows for a quick cover up and re-load for another shot.

I know, I rarely try this unless it ahs perfect terrain, but the time it worked best was in CMBO. I had 2 hellcats that snuck around the flank and got hull-down firing positions on a hill behind a valley in which a ton of german armor was advancing. The 2 hellcats then killed 5 Stugs, 7 Pz IVs, and 2 Tigers between them, without being scratched. Of course, it doesn't usually work this well. :(