Limits on modding?

Originally posted by sitzkrieg:

Sorry if I offended you. I was just making a very wild example not to be taken seriously.

Oh okey ;)

Again, I would like to see correct models for all of the "spaceholders" in CM:BB as well. If the community can help speed this up, I'm all for it. But it is for BTS to decide and I don't think they are going to go for the idea..

We all want to see correct models ;) i mean this game is really perfect, and iam just a guy who wants to make the grafiks perfect too ;)

I think correcting models might be problematic for some of the reasons people have already mentioned in this thread, incompatible games being number one. No one, outside of BTS, knows what changing models or data will do to program execution.

A sollution could be to backup the modifieded files, or even a simple switcher, say a batch (.bat) file for example, wich renames the files before starting the game ... .

I still hoping to get a official answer from BTF smile.gif

BTW, what models do you think have errors? Just curious. Even if you can't correct these yourself you might want to mention something to BTS so they can and everyone will benefit.

How i said they are just minor ones, they did really fantastic models!

2 examples coming fast in my mind:

1. The 3,7 pak, i started making a new texture for it and it was going pretty good (have alot of reffernce images ;) ), want to make it "perfect accurate ;) " than i just saw how the 3D model is build and i figured out that i cant make the texture fit the model without wrong size and the polygonal shape is wrong.

You could also spare some polygons in optimzing the pak ... .

2. Really minor one, the late Brumbaer has no MG showed in 3D.

What i wanted to do too is making some high poly replacment models.

Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre,

My "Abrams" comment had to do with people mentioning modeling other wars with CM:BB, not your requests specifically. I feel that modeling other armor that isn't in the game would lead to using armor that shouldn't be available. As much as I think people go a little overboard here giving others grief about gamey aspects, I really hate things like trainers and hacking binary and what it does to the integrity of games. I'll take a few repeated graphics with great gameplay over perfect graphics but a cheatable game any day.

Originally posted by Tripwire6:

Jean-Pierre,

My "Abrams" comment had to do with people mentioning modeling other wars with CM:BB, not your requests specifically. I feel that modeling other armor that isn't in the game would lead to using armor that shouldn't be available. As much as I think people go a little overboard here giving others grief about gamey aspects, I really hate things like trainers and hacking binary and what it does to the integrity of games. I'll take a few repeated graphics with great gameplay over perfect graphics but a cheatable game any day.

I fully agree with you, but i think that it is not possible or atleast really hard to make new vehicles.

I mean when im looking how BTF did CMBB you can imagine how it works (or better its just a idea of me ;) ).

They included the other vehicles with shared model but correct data, for me that means that you can not, after you "finished the game" / "the core" / "version one", make that easy new stats/data, for new vehicles or anything else, BUT and thats the point, you can includ new grafiks ... .

I mean when it would be easy to implent complet new vehicles (new stats/data and new grafiks) i think they wouldnt include the shared model for now as placeholders.

They would wait until they finished the 3D models and the data/stats and release them with a patch ... .

I think its like this:

T-34-armor-data.dat

85mm-penetration.dat

... .dat

or maybe all the "data files"of one vehicle as one, and this part is hardcoded

and than the

T-34/85-Model44.3ds

and this, the grafik file, is external ...

Hell i hate guesing :(

BTF help us with some informations please smile.gif

Jean-Pierre

There are no unique vehicle models or stat file. Both are woven into the application.

Models are just eye candy and are not related to vehicle stats. Even if you could make a PZ II look like an Abrams, it would still work like a PZ II.

I recall BFC saying they would never allow access to their 3D models, and if you can go in and change them, you would be able to get the data out for yourself, and they will not allow that.

These things have been mentioned by BFC on a number of occasions and they seemed pretty firm about their decisions. I'd love to see "slots" in future games that would allow you to insert your own models and textures. If you leave them open, it uses the game models, if you include models, it uses them instead.) I can only imagine the rediculous poly counts people would end up with!!! It would be cool and possibly keep BFCs models private.

Guys, firstly its not possible for you edit the models in CMBB and never will be, even if we wanted to allow this.

There are various reasons for this. The main reason is that under the current engine it is a very complicated process. Not only does the model need to be created, but it needs to be 'coloured' in a certain way for the engine to know which part is the turret and allow to rotate, which part is the gun, where the rotation points are, etc, etc. Its a very long and complicated process that can only be done in a certain way (and only on Mac software). And yes, it does require extra programming work from Charles to position the crew, gun blast, etc. No, not effecient at all and this will be change when we rewrite the engine.

Secondly, yes, we will be replacing as many of the place holders as we can. Can we do all of them? Probably not, but we can do a lot and probably all but the rarer vehicle. If people arent happy with place holders for vehicles we cant replace the only solution left to us is that we can remove those vehicles from the game, leaving just the 'completed' vehicles. I dont want to do this myself as CM is primarily a wargame thus reducing tactical opportunities for eye candy seems silly to me, but it is an option that we will discuss when the time comes.

The future? Not sure at this point, but with the rewrite will totally overhauling the modelling system and adding in a HUGE amount of flexability. We will allow people to mod the models? Again, Im not sure. The models in the rewrite will be much more complex and probably (hypothetically speaking at this point) allow for things such as damaged states in various areas, panels that can be blow off during the game (such as skirt armour), hatches and doors that can open, particle systems for exhaust smoke, movable MG's, etc, etc. We would probably like to allow people to mod these, but it may not be possible without simplify the models which would be a shame I think. Time will tell.

Dan

[ October 14, 2002, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]