Eastern Front Reading Suggestions?

With CMBB nearly upon us... I'd be grateful for your thoughts on the best books covering the Eastern Front campaigns, especially those that provide overview info on general tactics and an introduction to some of the AFV's (especially Soviet) etc. CMBO has inspired much of my reading over the past couple of years... now it's time to educate myself on another theatre of operations!

Okay, before the entire Library of Congress gets listed and the subsequent debate as to which is best. I'll list four particular titles that I have personally enjoyed and found to be well written and authoritative. These publications mainly cover my own favorite interest, the 1943-1944 Soviet offensive/German defensive battles on the Eastern Front. Of particular interest to me, which these books detail nicely are the battles in the Ukraine, the fighting in and around the Dnieper Bend, and the Korsun Pocket. Not necessarily in an order of preference:

1. Scorched Earth, The Russian-German War 1943-1944, by Paul Carell, Published by Schiffer Publishing Ltd., 1994, ISBN:0-88740-598-3

2. Ostfront 1944, The German Defensive Battles On The Russian Front 1944, by Alex Buchner, Published by Schiffer Publishing Ltd., 1995, ISBN: 0-88740-282-8

3. Red Army Tank Commanders, The Armored Guards, by Richard N. Armstrong, Published by Schiffer Publishing Ltd., 1994, ISBN: 0-88740-581-9

4. SS The Blood-Soaked Soil, The Battles Of The Waffen-SS, by Gordon Williamson, Published by Motorbooks International Publishers & Wholesalers, 1995,

ISBN: 0-7603-0185-9

[ August 01, 2002, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

not exactly east front entirely but i like "fall of berlin" by anthony read and david fisher

lots of little stories about citizens and refugees and soldiers in berlin, the russian drive on berlin, & the bumbling by hitler and his idiot staff in the defense of berlin.

Nothing strategic in it, but I just got Zaloga's "Red Army handbook 1939 - 1945".

First class organization, units and equipment descriptions (as always by Zaloga). It is really worth the $30 is costs.

[ August 01, 2002, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

I will like to suggest three books I have at hand;

"Russia at War:1941-1945." Alexander Werth. E.P. Dutton & CO., INC. New York, 1964.

"Russia's Heroes." Albert Axell. Carroll & Graf Publishers, INC. New York, 2001.

"Night Witches. The Untold Story of Soviet Women in Combat." Bruce Myles. Presidio Press, 1981.

I recommend Alexander Werth's book. Mainly because is written with a journalistic view and an overall account of the times.

"Heroes" book is quite an interesting reading of heroic feats; Brest Fortress, snipers, Cossaks, Siberians, Jew Generals, "Night Witches"...

On "Road to Stalingrad" John Erikson talks about certain commander, Beloborodov, who fought with his Siberian troops against "SS Das Reich", in a "bitter" clash, for the possesion of Istra in the November battles outside Moscow. Beloborodov's Army and "Das Reich" had a fight to the death again during the Russian Winter Counter-Offensive which followed, says Erikson.

I was wondering who this commander was, lost between the mentioning of so many other commanders, armies and contested sectors of the Moscow front.

Well, readings bring more readings, it's like magic.

The book "Russia's Heroes" has an interview with the man himself.

For those who are interested on tactics of river crossing, "Russian style", you may want to know what this man said.