Operation design - AI attacker should advance, no ?

Still working on this operation where the player takes the defensive role against an attacking AI force.

Whatever the parameters are set, advance or assault, fanaticism up to 50 %, attacking forces triple the defending points, I cannot get the AI across the map. This is not due to my skillful defensive play, but simply because the AI doesn't advance his troops.

Even more weird : They retreat !

The first battle usually works out fine. Aggressive German troops storm the allied defensive strongholds, which results in a considerable gain of terrain for the AI. However, when the second battle opens, the AI has spread his forces along the frontline, but during the next turns the AI turns his tail and moves his forces towards an undetermined place on the map.

I increased the number of turns per battle as I thought that the AI needed more time to mass up his troops and prepare a push forward somewhere later in the battle.

But nothing happens..at turn 30 of the 3rd. battle, I hit the surrender button and I can see all that "enemy" armor and infantry sitting in a corner of the map guns and vehicles facing east !

(BTW parameters specifies attacker comes from the east)

Map size : 2400 m x 4480 m, battle window 1600 m

Any tips to stimulate AI to take up arms again after first battle ?

------------------

http://users.pandora.be/aneric/index8.htm#Projects

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a very simular experience. I set up a battle with a small German force defending cross-road from a few scattered buildings and wooded areas. The allied force was triple that of the Axis and very well equiped.

I saw one scout car which a hidden AT team took out very quickly, but the rest of the huge allied force hid in the woods for 20+ plus turns.

The VL flags were all in front of the attacker. Thoughts?

------------------

Dought!!! Landmines.

Check the preferences section in the Editor. There is a setting which defines from which direction (north, east, south, west) the attacker is coming from. Also adjust the settings for the map edges accordingly by setting who owns which map edge. That should do it. If not, please email me the game file and I'll look over it: martin@gamesofwar.de

Martin

------------------

"An hour has 60 minutes, each minute in action has a thousand dangers."

- Karl-Heinz Gauch, CO 1st Panzerspähkompanie, 12th SS Panzerdivision

Originally posted by Moon:

Check the preferences section in the Editor. There is a setting which defines from which direction (north, east, south, west) the attacker is coming from. Also adjust the settings for the map edges accordingly by setting who owns which map edge. That should do it. If not, please email me the game file and I'll look over it: martin@gamesofwar.de

Martin

I've done all that. However you cannot control map-edges in operations.

Thanks for your attention Martin.

I will send you the file. It's an historical scenario of the 2nd. Pz. div. attacking the village of Marnach on the skyline drive in Luxemburg and it's push forward to the town of Clervaux during the first days of the Battle of the Bulge.

In the meantime I've already altered the set-up zones, window-size and force distribution, but the AI still does not attempt to move forward except for the first battle.

Would appreciate you take a look at it and give some advice.

------------------

Belgian Combat Mission Scenario Page