Rugged Defense CM Tournament AARs - Buckeye vs Barleyman

Barleyman wrote:

105mm RR has a lot more punch than a Tiger. A lot cheaper and more difficult to take out too.

Definitely cheaper, but the Tiger can actually get out more firepower per turn than the RR's can. It comes down to how much ammo either unit can unload before they die or the game ends.
You can buy 3 RRs for each Tiger, so maybe you'd care to reassess the estimate of ability to deliver fire on target per turn.. Also, I see tiger as an overpriced eggshell :-b

AFVs will deliver the fire where and when you need it.
That's what the assault howitzers were there for. They did perform pretty ok, too, until taken out by OPFOR TDs. Again, an RR is much cheaper than StuH42.

And the smoke thing is annoying, but the game *is* trying to protect its own units with the smoke.
You see, they'll shoot smoke even if the infantry is far away. If you put a Wespe and a 105mm RR side by side, wespe will use HE, RR will probably use smoke. If you don't assign targets manually, both will use HE. It's just a bug.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Fionn:

Personally I'd have gone down the road on the right of the map with my main force.

Well thanks Fionn -- I was trying to figure this out because Barleyman's attack filled me with horror -- it seemed like a hugh waste of man-power just to get to an overwatch on the town.

I know my game is missing a finely tuned sense of attack - not to mention the stomach and I'll be turning your comment about trepidation over in my mind more than a few times. But is this what it takes? I need bigger callouses!

I recently lost 2 games on flags alone - where my opponent had nearly 100% more casaualties but managed last minute flag questions in my territory.(these were set scenarios - so I couldn't juggle points) and so pointed out all too clearly that I had set my sights too low. That is kill him and survive. So was Barleyman too aggressive in the first 13 turns?

Given that the scenario is designed for the attacker to lose why even think that you should take a flag -- all those juicy points I guess but it seems to me the most available flag (the one Barleyman took) is a sucker's flag.

Isn't this a case where one should try to surround the town even at the cost of not achieving flagdom?

i.e. there isn't enough time to do a full town surround.

The town itself is like one big foxhole - smoke it and forget it.

A play for the flag heights behind the town on Axis left flank looks like the best flag opportunity.

I'm asking.

Splash - I do not believe your comment "Given that the scenario is designed for the attacker to lose" is probably quite what you meant to say, or at least it does not come across too well ;) .

I want to make it very clear the scenario was NOT DESIGNED for the attacker to LOSE, it was designed to be an extremely difficult win for the attacker so only the best attacking players might stand a chance of an attacker win. Certainly, I did not expect many attackers to win. There is a lot of difference between our two statements. If all players thought they had no chance at all of an attacking win, as your statement seems to imply, that is not condusive IMO to a good battle.

The map and battle - remember players were choosing their own forces - achieved my aim in that the winning attackers - IMO the players who played the scenario most effectively as attackers - all went through to the final so I think it was acknowledged these players clearly "deserved" a place in the final through superior play.

Rob

Originally posted by Gpig:

Howdy.

I might be speaking for the lurking majority when I say "I LOVE those AAR's. Please keep 'em coming!"

I rarely post in response to these awesome AAR's, but that does not mean I do not appreciate them. In fact, I'm too busy looking for another AAR to digest. smile.gif

So Fionn, don't be discouraged. They ARE being read and discussed and evaluated. They are fantastic!

Gpig

I second that.

Gotcha

[ May 21, 2002, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Gotcha ]

Splash,

The way to win in all human endeavour ( not just CM) is to make the best decision you possibly can in as emotionless a state of mind as you can manage and then to plunge ahead with that decision, never second-guessing it unless it really becomes obviously and absolutely inappropriate. Hold off making the decision for as long as possible but once you make it commit 100%. You'll find that mediocre decisions fully committed to yields more victories than brilliant decisions which are second-guessed every step of the way.

What should one do in this game?

Well, Drizzt says "Dead men don't hold flags" referencing the famous "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" movie with Steve Martin.

Anyways, in this case he's right. KILL the enemy without mercy, without second thought without hesitation and the flags will soon fall.

My battle plan is usually very simple. Advance till I find the enemy, get around them so they can't escape and then kill every last one of them. Repeat as necessary.

It is noticeable that I can't remember the last time I won a game on points. I generally always win through the enemy auto-surrendering after I've killed 80%+ of his force.

I know the above isn't very fancy advice but it is the truest advice I can give. Forget about flags ( I play with Flags off and only turn them on for screenshots since flags are entirely inconsequential to my play). Just find the enemy and kill them in massive numbers and everything else will fall into place.

just finished watching thru turn 28 and the handwriting's on the wall for the germans. i have to say that i've learned a great deal from watching the action phases of this game. the scenario was far from a foregone conclusion and if buckeye hadn't handled his defense as well as he did with those hellcats, i think germany would have had a chance of taking the town. the only critical thing i can say of barleyman's attack is perhaps he rushed in too soon before the arty had a chance to start falling. many squads were lost in the initial assault across the fords. but the game was a blast to watch for sure. great scenario and map!

Thanx there Fionn

I'd love to kill the enemy in great numbers and I will hence forth dammit! -- I was setting my sights too low! There's no place like home, there's no place...

Just to show you I was listening to your AAR's -- Where's that open terrain infantry/tank assault you promised? :D

Now don't tell me no one wants to play you.

Splash,

It is noticeable that I can't remember the last time I won a game on points. I generally always win through the enemy auto-surrendering after I've killed 80%+ of his force.

I know the above isn't very fancy advice but it is the truest advice I can give. Forget about flags ( I play with Flags off and only turn them on for screenshots since flags are entirely inconsequential to my play). Just find the enemy and kill them in massive numbers and everything else will fall into place.

Splash,

The way to win in all human endeavour ( not just CM) is to make the best decision you possibly can in as emotionless a state of mind as you can manage and then to plunge ahead with that decision, never second-guessing it unless it really becomes obviously and absolutely inappropriate. Hold off making the decision for as long as possible but once you make it commit 100%. You'll find that mediocre decisions fully committed to yields more victories than brilliant decisions which are second-guessed every step of the way.

What should one do in this game?

Well, Drizzt says "Dead men don't hold flags" referencing the famous "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" movie with Steve Martin.

Anyways, in this case he's right. KILL the enemy without mercy, without second thought without hesitation and the flags will soon fall.

My battle plan is usually very simple. Advance till I find the enemy, get around them so they can't escape and then kill every last one of them. Repeat as necessary.

Originally posted by Robert Hall:

Splash - I do not believe your comment "Given that the scenario is designed for the attacker to lose" is probably quite what you meant to say, or at least it does not come across too well ;) .

Rob

Sorry if I caused offense - I slanged too much.

Just like to say that the AAR was really fun to watch and read. I really learned a lot and realized how little I was utilizing some great assets to my benefit. The well placed crack sharpshooters alone really placed the defender in a great position to take out his armour due to the button up. I'd like to see some of the other AAR for the same battle and check the different strategy.

Keith,

You *do* remember my standing orders regarding sharpshooters? Words "Entrails", "Neck" and "Wrapped" were featured, as I recall.

In any case, I don't have any games going on right now, ladder or otherwise. So if anyone cares to test their theories of military science in the crucible of battlefield .. I play by the P-76 rules and Rugged defense ladder.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...