Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Ambush markers

I don't use them much - can you tell me if the units targeting the marker will return fire on enemies that are close to, but not on the marker?

Here is my situation. I just placed 2 regular Sherman 5s behind some trees with LOS to a road 50m away. The tree line and my tank facing is perpendicular to the road, so the tanks should be able to pop any vehicles at 90 deg. I KNOW there is a Tiger coming, but due to a slight error in my placement he might be able to stop just short of my ambush point (where my bearing to him will be about 65 deg. So I've placed an ambush marker right at the 90 deg point, but if the Tiger crew is sharp they COULD stop short of it and nail me. In that case I doubt they will miss at that range, but will my crew be smart enough to know that the turret is turning towards them and shoot regardless of the fact the Tiger is not yet on the marker.

Damn, I think I know the answer to this!

Trout

The answer to your question is, yes, the ambush will be triggered if a enemy is with 15-20 meters of the marker, so long as that enemy is withing LOS of your unit that is targeting the ambush marker.

However, I advise you not to use ambush markers with tanks. They will ignore all other threats until the ambush is triggered or canceled.

There is rarely a time when a tank should use ambush markers because a tank is rarely a hidden unit and because they ignore all threats (as mentioned above)

the only times i use ambush markers for tanks is when i have german assult guns in a good position that overlooks a key hole. i will use it in that sitution only if i know there are no other pop shots for tanks nearby. i do this because ive had one to many assult guns rotate to engage infantry in other locations, and not pay attention to the key hole.

other than that i use them only when i KNOW someone is going to be coming in at a certain place, and i dont want my AT guns giving themselves away.

The only time I use the ambush command with armor is when I've positioned it early in the battle where I am almost sure my enemy hasn't the slightest clue where it is. I'll hide it and set the ambush. (This has happened twice maybe three times since I've begun playing about a year ago now I think)