Pistol Ports

I was reading another post here - and the question occured to me;

Are pistol ports actually rendered (and used) wihtin CMBO? I don't think they are.

I can't think of any AFV's which still had them by 1944 which are in CMBO - but I could be wrong.

Most importantly - I relate this to CMBB;

If pistol ports are not available as yet - might they be in CMBB, or a patch perhaps?

Or is really worth the effort?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think pistol ports actually did a lot to provide a tank with any fearsome means of local defence. It would still be nice to see though.

I recall a few scenes out of a IHF video I have called "Men Against Tanks and Engineers to the Front", where you actually see an example of when a pistol port would have been used. While the acting was "hokey" to say the least, it was still interesting to watch - I mean after all, this was a training video of sorts. Perhaps pistol ports actually were something to be feared after all?

I have to admit - that while I will likely lose the battle only to have my face rubbed in it, all I want is bragging rights after one of my tank crewman cap some cocky enemy Infantryman attempting a close assault; by way of the pistol port.

Then I'd be cool - oh yea! :cool:

Who needs a major victory when I've got a pistol port kill. ;)

So what does everyone else think, 'am I right out of 'er on this one or what?

[ July 17, 2002, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Little_Black_Devil ]

Sounds to me like what you really want are some kills with the rear turret HMG on Soviet heavy tanks ;) .

Now THERE are some bragging rights ;) . Pistol ports aren't, AFAIK, explicitly modelled since they had such little impact ( limited zone of fire, visibility etc).

Those rear MGs are fun though ;) .

I wonder if pistol ports couldn't be abstracted into the ability of an AFV to defend against close assault. Assaulters attacking a vehicle with good ports should be more likely to fail.

(Of course, I don't know if the calculations for close assaults take some kind of AFV-specific defense value into consideration at all. Perhaps it all depends on the assaulter's values. Anyone?)