System Error

I am trying to install CMBB and I get "system error CD device cannot be found" more than half way through extracting the files in the installation process. I did not get this the first time I installed the game. CDrom Drivers are updated. What's up?

Did you get the CD when CMBB first shipped ? Perhaps you have one of the 'defective' CD's, but it wasn't evident when you first installed the game. Can you copy the entire file off of the CDROM and run the installation from your hard drive ?

Have you had any problems running CMBB before (CD not recognized, etc.) ?

What platform (Mac or PC) are you on and do you have your 'old' CDROM drivers ?

Has anything changed about your system since you initially installed CMBB, such as a different CD drive or possibly other patches to the system ?

A number of users complained of install problems when CMBB first shipped. There are some lengthy posts in the Tech Support forum regarding some of these problems. The problem didn't occur for everyone with some people not getting it to work with one CDROM/DVD, but it would work with another drive. The issue basically boiled down to the CDs being of marginal manufacturing quality on some of the very first batches. Some drives could compensate for the problem and others couldn't. One of the problems was a somewhat 'milky' appearance on some parts of the read-able portion of the disc.

You may want to contact Madmatt and see if it is possible to get a replacement CD (I'm not sure what he may want you to do in order to confirm that the CD is defective). You may need your original shipping address (the address that CMBB was shipped to) and the original credit/debit card number that was used in the order so that your original order can be confirmed. I don't suspect that there is a charge for a replacement CD, but I'm not sure.

The file is a self-extracting RAR archive. I'm not sure why the icon would change since the WinRAR program doesn't need to be present to affect the icon appearance to my knowledge. CMBB still attempts to extract when you click on this icon, doesn't it ? If it doesn't then something may have gotten messed up in your registry. Remove the CD and reboot and see if the icon still remains an issue (and if CMBB still doesn't start extracting when you click on the file).

What you're seeing may be related to the way that the drive is attempting to read the CD. Possibly nothing you can do to fix it.

It does try to extract the files anyway. I reinstalled Windows a few minutes ago and now the program does show up as the RAR icon. However, I still get the same error during the extraction. The extraction gets almost to the end and quits while extracting the wav files. When I lowered the supplemental cache size on the CDROM, it did extract to the end and then just quit. I didn't get a Successfully installed message. When I tried to install the patch, it said it couldn't find a install of CM2.