Sound problem

foamy

I never had any sound or video problems ever - now I got this weired "Hissing" noise with small arms fire (I think it's small arms but I can't track it down as it comes from all over the battle field).

Just before this happend I loaded up a Squeaky tank and Tank machine gun mod (files 134, and 420+421). These files work fine by themselves, so I don't think it had anything to do with them.

Anyway - I got so fed up I re-loaded ALL the original WAV files from CM disk. That darn hissing was still there. How can this be, what could be going on - Help !!

If I listen real carefull I think the noise might be a "Smudged" machine gun type sound ??

Do you experience this 'hissy' sound in any other game or app ? Have you recently changed drivers on anything in your computer ? What motherboard and what sound card do you have (and what OS) ?

If you have the drive space you can do a complete install to a different directory and play CM from that copy. If the 'hissing' continues, then I would assume that it is a problem outside of CM (hardware, software, drivers, etc.).

Thanks for your interest:

Win 98, SoundBlaster Live, 250 Mg RAM 850 AMD...

The hissing problem - I re-loaded an old saved game where I knew there were no problems - the Hissing sound was there.

I shutdown CM and re-started the program - BINGO all is well (Did not re-start the computer).

I have no idea what happened, suspect the new sounds I loaded must have corrupted something that CM needs to run (I am not a computer expert so this is just logical guesswork on my part).

So, all I need now is to find all those nice sound mods that I got rid of - anyone know if there is a good sound mod pack available.

I appreciate your comments, my description of a "Hiss" was probably missleading. There can be no doubt that the sound was there when a certain weapon was firing and now that same weapon in the same scene at the same time etc.. etc has gone. I don't need to know the reason, so I am one "Happy Camper" playing this wonderfull game again.