Factories: Cover, concealment values?

Posted elsewhere:

Me and a buddy have been setting up urban QB maps. I noticed that units within factory tiles (even deep within, like 3 tiles) seem to spot and be spotted pretty easily. It's not unlike a big greenhouse with glass walls. Ok, so factories are large fairly open structures. My question is are there any benefits of cover for troops inside factory walls? I haven't found anything in the manual about it.

It may have to do with the fact that I think factory tiles were designed to allow relatively long lines of sight inside the factory. There probably is no way to provide these longer lines of sight inside without also allowing the same long line of sight to penetrate into the factory from outside. Maybe a solution would be to provide factory tiles with long lines of sight for use inside the factory, and other tiles with shorter lines of sight (similar to the other buildings) for use on the exterior parts of the factory.

On a related topic, it appears that you can design factories with “interior” walls by placing some of the walled factory tiles to the inside. Do these interior walls have any effect on line of sight or movement?

If you want a big factory building/complex without having the enemy see/engage at long range ... here are some things I just did for experimentation purposes... (BTW I seem to get a 70 meter max visibility even over clear factory floor, top or bottom, with or without interior walls added.)

Gut the Factory and set it on fire. Big rubble in a randomly-edged pattern inside your factory. Then put walls around all rubble if desired to show something holding up the remaining roof. Then place large building fire on select rubble. It will not show a burning building, but burning rubble.

snap2.jpg

snap4.jpg

As you can see, I left out a few wall tiles at the rubble edges. This gives it a great appearance of damage, but be sparing as it leaves the roof with no visible means of support if you don't put up some walls facing the rubble tiles. The interior walls added that you see in pic 1 do NOT affect LOS in any way, even if you double them up. They DO however lend a DOOM/Wolfenstein effect to all level 1 viewing from inside the factory. smile.gif

EDIT - If you put a burning large building on top of factory tiles and next to rubble tiles you get a burning large building attached in every way to the factory tiles and dappled up the side with the rubble BMP. AND it's on fire.

[ September 29, 2002, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Sgt. Schultz ]