Super-heavy siege guns

Why aren't these included? Obviously they'd be off-map, but for the Germans at least it seems that they used large siege artillery pieces, such as the 540mm mortar, against fortifications. I mean, if you have the Sturmtiger, which was at least as rare, used for the same purpose, also had a super-heavy siege piece, and is even on-board, then why not the off-board siege arty?

Originally posted by Wolfgang_Otto:

Well, I would guess because of extreme rarity. We are talking like two guns here. They were for prolonged bombardment of towns, like Lenningrad and huge concret fortifications. You wouldn't call in a fire mission with one. One shell every 10 minutes or so would be the max.

Yeah, but they gave the Sturmtiger some reload time bonuses, an Elite ST can reload in 1 min., when it took at least 10 min. in real life. And surely they could have a huge rarity factor and only really be used in premade scenarios against fortifications and pillboxes.

Originally posted by PvtTom:

LOL what would the point be, the shell would land and kill everyone on the map.

Not really, nothing (in CM) can knock down a hill. I've had a squad totally unharmed 5m away from an exploding 380mm b/c it was just behind a ridge. But maybe it would be a bit over the top with Dora (800mm siege gun, took 45min to reload).

Well, the sort of fortifications that were attacked by these guns are not really in the game. You are talking about the huge fortresses at Sevastopol. Other than that, AIUI these guns and mortars would be used mostly for deep interdiction missions. They were not really flexible enough to be used in close support. You can simulate them in game by choosing a massively damaged map though ;)

Yep, fun idea, but they were so rare like the "railway" mounted naval guns like "Anzio Annie" ect. Wouldn't work well in the CM games.

Although if you don't mind a little non-grognard, "beer and petzels" type of wargame there are the "Sudden Strike games". Sudden Strike 2 offers some of the "heavier" guns like railway guns, V-2 rockets,ect. :D