wheres the Higgens?

I've found that a good way to simulate an amphibious landing is to line the coast of your map with river ford tiles 1 to 2 layers deep. (I.e. have the cross-section of your beach look like:

<--water-ford-ford-land-->

with the land at, say, 1 unit higher elevation than the ford and water tiles, which simulates a gentle beach with very little cover.)

It looks a little odd, but it does away with the need to model landing craft, and it still starts your forces in the water, at full exposure and reduced movement speed. Makes a pretty realistic beach landing, I think.

~Sam

If you were using CMMOS you would know that there are in fact two superb CMMOS mods of the assault boat, one for the Americans and one for the Commonwealth, both located in their respective vehicle sections.

There was also, once, a CMMOS scenario-specific RuleSet, that included two D-day mods by Clubfoot. You can probably find it buried away in the old Combat Missions section of CMHQ (I know that sounds silly now, but that is what Manx's wonderful old website was called). The D-Day scenarios were Pointe du Hoc and Victor South.

I'm thinking of re-issuing a modified form of the RuleSet that would include the Hastings Howards material. I've actually written it up, and have also written up the rule for the beach ambient noises (waves and sea-gulls). It will probably make it into the CMMOS release after the one that's coming up. So keep an eye out for something called "A Day at the Beach".