Looking for some Scenarios...

I am looking for a coupla things. First off, does anyone know of a good recreation of Juno beach? I am curious about it and would be interested in trying one.

Also, what does everyone like for operations. I am going to start a PBEM op and want to get a really good and exciting one, hopefully balanced for pbem.

And finally, let's hear what are everyone's favorite river crossing scens. I have played a few, and would like to try a few more. Any suggestions?

For operations, I got Canadian Armageddon going with someone right now. It starts off a little unbalanced for the germans, but the map is tight, and you get decent reinforcements, I'd have to say it's pretty enjoyable.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

And finally, let's hear what are everyone's favorite river crossing scens. I have played a few, and would like to try a few more. Any suggestions?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No idea on Juno beach, but I sent you a scenario I did called Hold On at Tourmauville.

(shameless self promotion follows smile.gif This one is a British attack on defended German bridge and has been publically called "addictive" and " challenging" by people I don't know and can't bribe.

It says it is large, but my P2 233 can handle it ok, although it does get a little cranky at the end. There are a lot of units but they come in bit by bit.

You can play as either side, but play first as brits, take the bridge and hold against german counter attacks.

If anyone else wants it you can dl it from manx's site or email me. Ill send it along.

I like the crossing of the Waal River by American 82n AB Division paratroopers at Njimegen...Amphibious Airborne. The flanking movement by US and British forces from both sides of the River has been fun for me.

I've done a revision of the original that came on the CD and it plays a tad better. Anyone need it, drop me a line.

Another great river crossing scenario (very BIG) is Augen Zu! by Franko R. It's a huge Axis attack at night with heavy armor across several bridges against dug in Allies. The night conditions make it hard for Axis to use their armor to full advantage.

I've just started playing the new scenario Remagen-Luddendorf Bridge, which looks like a very interesting recreation of a major historical event. The map is terrific.

I believe both are available at Manx's Combat Missions site, Augen Zu! in a scenario pack by Franko.

Cochon Bridge (if I'm remembering the name right) is another good one. Not sure where I found it--lively and full of surprises.

I know there are others--I just can't think of 'em right now.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Also, what does everyone like for operations. I am going to start a PBEM op and want to get a really good and exciting one, hopefully balanced for pbem.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think operations are tricky to do well. If you create too big a no man's land between the forces, for example, the defender can be pushed steadily back (in, say, an "advance" scenario) even when he seems to be holding his ground. The manual is rather vague about operations--differences between advance, assault & destroy could be better spelled out--and even an experienced player can be confused about what he's really trying to accomplish.

I recently played an "advance" scenario as Allies and was told I needed to push to an objective that wasn't named--e.g, no specific village-- but was far down the board somewhere. I pushed fast and hard through several boards and made it to the end in four rounds (with six available) but got only a Tactical Victory, presumably because of causalties, esp. lost vehicles. If I'd known how far I needed to go, and that getting there in 4 rounds wouldn't give me any bonus--as it apparently did not-- I might have moved more slowly and cautiously. For example, I lost two tanks at the end of one round by trying to forge ahead to the very end of the board. I gained a few extra meters but the loss of the two tanks might have cost me a Major Victory. On the other hand, checking the scenario parameters after three rounds lead me to realize I had a 400mm no man's land--I'd gotten bored with unopposed advances for several moves and wanted the action to start sooner--so I was able to plan from that. I knew I could move freely for say, 300mm up to the next visual barrier--lots of them since this was the bocage, so I mounted my infantry on halftracks and tanks and raced ahead. This was only vs. the AI, so who cares, but in a PBEM game, I think briefings need to be very clear so both players fully understand their objectives and a large exploitable no man's land should be avoided. A "DESTROY" op with a small no man's land may be the fairest?

My favorite operation of all time is the first I played, Wild Bill's "Team Desobry," which avoids all of the problems I have mentioned (though checking early threads from the beta days suggests WBW had to work hard to clear up just such problems.)

Panzer Leader,

At the risk of sounding like I am plugging my own scenario, I sent one to Manx's site a week or so ago that features a couple of bridges that span a confluence of two rivers. The scenario is called Gemunden (thread down below) and features an accurate map of a German town of the same name (approximately accurate, at least). It is meant to be played as the attacking US (when playing against the ai), and based on the feedback I have received, it is quite challenging. I have also received very good feedback about it's pbem qualities as well. I encourage you to give it a look if you are still looking for another scenario.