Soviet Recon Battalion

Wojo

In June and July 1941 A Recon Battalion ~354 points is cheaper than a Recon Company ~384 points. The difference is that the Recon Battalion adds a Battalion HQ unit.

And the cost of the individual units is reduced by about 10-20%. i.e recon platoon with the same equipment now cost 25 when purchased as part of a battalion ans opposed to 29 when purchased as part of a compay.

Seems Oddd to me :confused:

Well i don't have CMBB yet :( but... From CMBO experience i'd hesitate a guess that.

A recon Company is 384 points.

BUT if you buy a whole Battalion each Company works out as 354 points.

That is how CMBO worked, i'd say that is what's confusing you with this.

Stix

Originally posted by Wojo:

A Soviet Recon Battalion consists of a

One Recon Company

One Battalion HQ unit.

By adding a HQ unit and ONLY a HQ unit you decrease the cost by 30 points

that makes sense, the HQ probably costs about 30 pts all by itself. Also, units are always made cheaper when purchased at higher organizational levels, the higher the level= the greater the discount.

I guess I am not being clear.

The Battalion which consists of

a Recon Company and a Battalion HQ and costs 354

A recon Company cost 384.

The discount for buying at Battalion level is so large that have the additional unit {The HQ} and still spend 30 points less.

So for an increase in command control and a fairly decent infantry unit [8 men] you pay less :confused:

Originally posted by Wojo:

So for an increase in command control and a fairly decent infantry unit [8 men] you pay less :confused:

You're right that that doesn't make sense, although what *really* doesn't make sense is that by sticking a battalion commander on a company, the company *becomes* a battalion. Would it become a division if they stuck a division commander on it? :D

What happens in the game, of course, as silvio pointed out, is that it gives you about a 10% discount on lower level formations when you buy an entire higher command level, *and* it throws in the higher level commander for free. It's supposed to be sort of a volume discount sales event because the game must assume that a *company* will something more than just one platoon, and a battalion will have more than just one company in it.

I guess that's not correct. Alternatively, there is an OOB problem and there should be something else in a recon battalion.

In a technical points win/loss situation in the game, losing a BN CO may not be worth 30 points when compared to the loss of Victory Points in game for the loss of the high level unit. You in essence accept more risk, hence you are discounted. Just a guess.

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Wojo:

[qb]

You're right that that doesn't make sense, although what *really* doesn't make sense is that by sticking a battalion commander on a company, the company *becomes* a battalion. Would it become a division if they stuck a division commander on it? :D

[QB]</font>

I read something in the manual the other day that has been ringing in my mind as I've read this thread, so I went back and looked it up. To tell you the truth, I don't know whether or not it has any bearing on the present discussion, but on page 173 it says:

Some formations, particularly Recon units, had great numbers of vehicles assigned to them. This is not something that Combat Mission is set up to handle, especially because these units often fought seperate from each other by design.

If such units were left out there is a "-" at the very end denoting that some assigned units were purposely not included.

If you see the "-" you can safely assume that some type of light wheeled or tracked armor would likely accompany this formation. Note that armored Halftracks and sometimes armored cars are included for the most part. Generally only company sized armored vehicle formations are left out.

So what I'm wondering is would a Soviet recon battalion contain more than just a recon company and a battalion HQ if it were fully constituted? And if so, does the fact that as represented it may be seriously understrength have anything to do with its lower than expected price tag? Granted, the whole thing still looks pretty strange...

Michael

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

I'm looking at the Soviet Mech. Div Recon OOB. I find a "Recon Battalion (tank)-" at 269 pts, and a "Recon Company (MC)" at 276 pts. Only difference is the Battalion CO.

There is also another selction possible for recon, a Brigade Recon Co. (Tank) `41B - at 110 pts. for 1 Platoon and 1 extra Companie CO.

So my assumption is you need to purchase the tanks and other tracks from the armor and/or vehicle category if you want to outfit a Mech. Recon Battalion complete. Yes?