I know AP can tear a man apart, but...

...I was doing a little QBs vs the British and one of my AFVs, a vet. StuGIV ran out of HE shells. So, it was running around trying to kill people with it's AP rounds (long since ran out of rounds for the remote flexible MG). At roughly 100m, it had in its sights a depleted rifle squad of 7 men. It fired 1 AP round and BAM! 4 guys left. Now that's a shot! smile.gif I'll never look at StuGs the same again! I saved screenshots to show the lunacy but can't host it anywhere.

armoured units in WWII (and still do now-a-days?) used a technique known as 'pick and shovel' against dug in troops. They would fire a round of AP, then follow it up with another of HE, and keep repeating until the desired affect was acheived. It would be nice if AFVS in CM used a bit more variety in shel selection when engaging targets, instead of quickly depleting one ammo type - HE is especially prone to this IMHO.

Regards

JonS

Guest PondScum
Originally posted by Warmaker:

a depleted rifle squad of 7 men. It fired 1 AP round and BAM! 4 guys left.

I figure that's one guy very very dead, and two guys reduced to quivering, combat-shocked wrecks by the sight of what a 75mm AP round just did to their friend...

Gyrene, this incident was half the story. 2-3 turns before this 1000 in 1 shot, my boys in that StuG IV shot and killed one member from a panicked rifle squad that was running from them. With AP. These boys were on a streak don't you think? Who needs a StuH'42, right? :D

Oh, and to top it off my elite Panther G late was running amok. It was all great fun when a company's worth of Fireflies were cooking on the hillside. That's what you get when you have green troops manning expensive equipment!

When you fire AP at infantry is there any blast value at all or is it modelled just like a single (if rather large) bullet. I had a situation the other day when my M10 out of HE and I resorted to pounding him with AP. It seemed to be reasonably effective when they were in buildings (coincidence ???) but the guys in fox holes took ages to break and run.

Originally posted by Caesar:

When you fire AP at infantry is there any blast value at all or is it modelled just like a single (if rather large) bullet. I had a situation the other day when my M10 out of HE and I resorted to pounding him with AP. It seemed to be reasonably effective when they were in buildings (coincidence ???) but the guys in fox holes took ages to break and run.

I don't think there's much of a blast value for AP. However, AP does do quite a number when used against buildings; for example it will destroy them w/ a # of shots equal to or not much more than (twice as much?) it would take with HE. Realistic? Dunno. I wouldn't think so, unless your gunner is taking out supporting columns or something. I wonder if this will be any different for CM:BB?

[ February 18, 2002, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]