I have to share this one

Working on a new one, "A Second Job," US Combat Engineers and Panzer Grenadiers having a go at it with attacks from either end of the town at the same time.

Vossenack is in the Hurtgen Forest area, near the Kall Gorge.

This was quite a fight and so it is in the scenario.

Of particular interest was the reinforcing German armor that charged down the street. With all US Armor creamed, it looked grim.

It just so happened, however, in the fortunes of war, that the German armor went in without infantry support. biggrin.gif

They suddenly found themselves in a nest of American engineers.

Guys, you gotta believe that satchel charges began flying. Boom! Panther knocked out, crew never had a chance. A StugIII slammed into reverse and began looking for a way out!

The SdKfz 7 Flak gun quickly crossed the street to avoid the satchels. biggrin.gif

Hiding in a doorway was another squad of engineers, with even another in the building in front of the vehicle.

The gun carriage began to rotate frantically, uncertain as to its target. Ah, another satchel charge...slides under the AFV. Another "BOOM"

The engineers, like old CE, smile and say,

C'mon, make my day"

Gotta love this game!

I sent old Madmatt some screen shots of this little encounter. Its pretty cool.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Thanks, Manx. You are kind. It has been fun. This is the most in-city fighting I've seen in CM. It is a very different battle.

As I test it, I have, in addition to the clautrophobic feel of buildings close in, the terrible dread of what I might find in the next one (building).

The game shows this very well, in my opinion. You wouldn't want every scenario to be like this, but it is quite a change...and a challenge to boot.

Hope to have a new one for your great CM site very soon...Nice job there, by the way!

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

billw@matrixgames.com

hey there WBW

can you post some sreenshots to me please? sounds like a great encounter (for the CE's anyway!).

what is your best research resource for finding these things out anyway? you seem to be right in the thick of it in the war stories stakes.

humbly,

Steve

therat@thelair.co.uk

------------------

You have to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away and know when to run...

The Gambler

therat@thelair.co.uk

Here is a list to get you going, Steve. These are some good source books for battles with CM.

Books for Ideas for Scenarios – Combat Mission - Beyond Overlord

The US Army in World War II Series, publisher: US Govt Printing Office

Cross Channel Attack

Breakout and Pursuit

Siegfried Line

Riviera to the Rhine

Lorraine Campaign

Battle of the Bulge

The Last Offensive

GENERAL

There’s a War to be Won, Perret

Delivered from Evil, Leckie

Heroes of World War II, Murphy

Battles and Battlescenes from WW2

Daring to Win, Eshel

Bravery in Battle, Eshel

Tank Aces, Zumbro

Tank Aces, Forty

Iron Cavalry, Zumbro

Tank Commanders, Forty

Clash of Chariots, Donnely and Naylor

D-Day

Operation Overlord Series (4), Order of Battle, Christopher Chant, editor

Swords and Plowshares, Maxwell D. Taylor

The 101st Airborne at Normandy, Bando

Band of Brothers, Ambrose

Overlord, Hastings

D-Day, Ambrose

NORMANDY

Panzertruppen II, Jentz

Churchill’s Desert Rats-Normandy to Berlin, Delaforce

Invasion! They’re Coming, Carell

Panzers in Normandy, Then and Now, Lefevre

Normandy, Essame

Death Traps, Cooper

Beyond the Beachhead, Balkoski

Six Armies in Normandy, Keegan

Steel Inferno, Reynolds

The 12th SS Panzer Division, Walther

The Blood Soaked Soil, Williamson

Hell on Wheels, Houston

Strike Swiftly, Jensen

FRANCE

The View from the Turret, Folkestad

St. Lo, Us Army Historical Division

The Clay Pigeons of St. Lo, Johns

Against the Panzers, Karamales

MARKET GARDEN-WEST WALL

Operation Dragoon, Bruer

Death of a Nazi Army, Bruer

August, 1944, Miller

A Bridge too Far, Ryan

Division Commander, Miller

THE ARDENNES

A Dark and Bloody Ground, Miller

Battle of the Bulge, Parker

Bastogne, the First Eight Days, Marshall

Hitler’s Last Gamble, Dupuy

The Devil’s Adjutant, Reynolds

A Time for Trumpets, MacDonald

A Blood Dimmed Tide, Astor

Bastogne and the Ardennes Offensive, Arend

FINAL BATTLES

Battle of the Ruhr Pocket, Whiting

One More River, Allen

These have all proven to be a big help to me.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

billw@matrixgames.com

Guest SS Peiper

Hey Bill did you read "Armor Battles of the Waffen SS 1943-45" by Will Fey and "Panzer Aces" by Franz Kurowski? Some great stories about Tank battles for CM.

SS Peiper

No I have not had the privilege, SSP. But I have the titles written down and am going to look for them. Thanks for the headsup.

Steve, I think Madmatt is going to post that series on the scenario, its called, "Cornered". If not, I'll send 'em to you. I know other folks might not be interested, but I'll make sure you get 'em.

Pretty cool..================

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

billw@matrixgames.com

Guest SS Peiper

Yea I'll give it a shot I never play tested a scen before but I'll let you know how it goes smile.gif

SS Peiper

Add to scenario booklist (especially pertinent to this scenario you're building).

Three Battles: Arnaville, Altuzzo, and Schmidt. By Charles B. MacDonald and Sidney T. Matthews. It's published by the Center for Military History, and comes with topo maps and aerial photos. A truly wonderful resource.

Mark

------------------

Scouts Out!

The Schmidt section alone in Three Battles easily has enough info for a dozen scenarios (scenario pack idea?). Schmidt was such an epic battle, yet it doesn't get the ink the others do, because it was an American blunder and failure.

Perhaps the one triumph of the Schmidt fiasco was that the Bloody Bucket guys who survived knew everything there was to know about defending an isolated town against overwhelming odds. That knowledge was put to great use at Marnach and Clervaux, and was crucial in saving Bastogne.

Mark

------------------

Scouts Out!

The whole Hurtgen Operation in hindsight was a disaster. Apparently it could have been bypassed or so say some historians. It was lost somewhere in the hoopla of Market Garden and the Bulge, but it was a time as dark as those menacing forests for the unfortunates who found themselves there.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

billw@matrixgames.com

I believe that, Steve.

Try Amazon.com. If there are discount, they have them.

If you are a serious collector, I do strongly recommend the US Army in WW2 series from the US Government.

The National Historical Society offers them a volume a month for about $25. These are the classics, most written by Charles McDonald, official US Army historian for many years.

He was also the author of "A Time for Trumpets"(The Bulge - he was there) and "Company Commander."

And if you wish, I'll make you a smaller selection of "I need these to get going" books. Let me know...

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

billw@matrixgames.com

thanks WBW, but I have a cunning plan...

there are squillions of you US historian blokes, so another one, especially one starting at nearly the beginning, will have nothing new to offer.

what I propose is to research the UK and Commonwealth army division by division. as I live in the UK, research materials are easier to come by.

watch out for brit oriented scenarios (in about 5 years time!)

Steve

------------------

You have to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away and know when to run...

The Gambler

therat@thelair.co.uk

Sadly that is the case. What is interesting is that some of the best authors on American military history are British Authors.

A few of my favorites. Bryan Perrett, John Keegan, Max Hastings and George Forty (is he British...not sure).

Your reference books have always overwhelmed with their depth and detail. Great authors and great books.

God help me if I ever get over to the isles, I'll go broke buying books wink.gif

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

billw@matrixgames.com

Guest grunto

-The Devil’s Adjutant, Reynolds-

another one by Reynolds with some potential scenario material is "Men of Steel, 1st SS Panzer Corps."

I happen to be reading that and am seeing several possibilities...if it was already in your list but i missed it consider this an additional recommendation.

andy