Hello CM World - Newbie Question

Hi Guys,

I've just discovered this stunning simulation and spent the last week playing the two demo battles over and over from both sides. Wow! This is everything and more that "Across the Rhine" was meant to be (if any of you are old enough to remember that one).

I am intrigued by the "ops" mode I hear oblique references to, and wonder if anyone could explain how it works to me? I gather that an "Op" is a series of related battles - but just how related are they? Do consequences from one battle in an 'Op' carry over to the next? If so, then I will be even more anxious for my copy of CM to arrive in the mail sometime in the next week or so.

This information doesn't seem to be provided in the Battlefront website anywhere.

BTW - I am VERY impressed by the calibre of discussion, and the international representation by CM users on these discussion boards. I was absolutely won over by the deapth and quality of the mods and scenarios fans are publishing as well!

I live near Ottawa (Canada), and there is a modest but interesting collection of WWII armour and artillery stored in a warehouse here (called 'Vimy House') that is open only in the summer. They have some very rare samples of German and British armour and guns, such as a Panzer Mk II, a Matilda, and

my favourite, a Panzerjager MkIV L70 with the

all-steel front bogie wheels. It is marked with the symbol of a running greyhound, and is painted in a yellow and green camouflage.

They even have a tiny 1 man Italian tank.

I look forward to any enlightenment you may care to shed upon me,

Fluf

Hey there Fluf.

I don't get the chance very often to play ops (very busy here usually), but let me try to explain best I can.

Yes, the battles in operations are directly linked. Most of the time, the battles cover 1-3 days of fighting, and yes, the results of one battle may affect another. For example, if you get your Sherman Crocodile that was assigned to you Ko'ed in the plains, then good luck clearing out the enemy village (you most likely will not get another. However, if you have a decent vehicle recovery chance (AKA play Allies!), you may see "abandoned" vehicles return to battle later in the op.

Have fun with the game, and hope this answers some of your question(s)! smile.gif

Fluf, when you get the game in the mail you can go this website if you want all-Canadian battles and operations. I'm currently playing "The Causeway" depicting the battle to reach Walcheren Island in early November 1944.

CANUCK: Clothing, Equipping and Employing the Canadian Soldier in Combat Mission.

There are many great websites are there with many great mods of both graphics, sounds and interface stuff. You won't regret getting this game.

With regards to your questions about operations, casualties that occur in one battle will affect how many men you have for the next battle including armour destroyed in a previous battle like Gen. Sosaboski wrote. In some cases, you may receive replacements and even reinforcements if the operation is designed that way. The front lines will move back and forth depending on how well you did and you only see the part of the map that you are currently battling on and as the front line moves, more and more of the map is revealed. But, be prepared to give long hours of time to each operation but they are fun!

By the way, I plan to make a trip to Ottawa sometime to see the museums there but here in Calgary, there's an awesome museum called "The Museum of the Regiments" and tells the histories of the Calgary based regiments with excellent dioramas and artifacts and with a good collection of Canadian equipment outside.

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: Wally's World ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fluf:

Hi Guys,

I am intrigued by the "ops" mode I hear oblique references to, and wonder if anyone could explain how it works to me? I gather that an "Op" is a series of related battles - but just how related are they? Do consequences from one battle in an 'Op' carry over to the next? Fluf<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hio fluf and welcome. First of all: Get the game! Second: yeah, I got 'across the rhine' but sadly It won't run on my current hardware.

As for ops: Ops in CM are in no way like campaigns you see in other war games, so don't expect, medals or promotions or the like. At most an Op covers 4 or 5 days in CM terms.

An Op covers a series of battles, always on the same map. This map can be quite large. You might see it as a large engagement split into smaller parts, complete with reinforcements.

Thanks for the welcome AND the answers! smile.gif

The 'Ops' sound really exciting!! I ordered the game over a week ago, and so supose that it is languishing somewhere in Canadian customs. Fortunately the demo is so good that I am still finding interesting things to do with it while I wait for the real thing to arrive.

Oh yes, I think I meant to say "Jagdpanzer MkIV", but I think you all knew what I meant.

Thanks again - :D