Twilight for the GvB!

This scenaio kicked A**!

Who is the author, e-mail? Who ever it is good job. I like the way you made the terrain and instead of bocage, which I hate! You put scattered trees! I found that real nice, since German tanks can pass and it's isn't so slow.

Spoiler:

Here is a quick summary.

I chose to attack on the right (axis point of view). I put all the crack FJ's on the right side of the map on the right side of the road. I gave them all the arty support all the shreck but 1 and seven StugIV's. Also they had 3/4 of the HMGs and around 20LMGs as support.

The rest of my foces were center and I placed the rest of the LMGs as flank protection. The rest of the inf. was also center with the 4 remaining Stug's. These guys were sort of a reserver and flank protection.

So I moved forward. The crack FJ's did not meet any resistace at all on the right advancing all the way to the edge of the town by turn 18. In the mean time the Americn attacked in the center. I had my troops ready to meet them. The Americans were all killed. They assauled along with shermans but all of them were knocked out by my Stugs. I only lost one stug for the price 8 shermans.

Also in between this (nice little action) I sent 2 FJ sqauds as recon along the paved road leading to hill 30. They met 2 shermans. My 2 squads opened fire at about 25m killed the TC's on both shermans and procced to fire their faust, knocking both tanks out in one minute. My troops suffered no cualties. A third sherman with a few troops showed up. The squads knocked out the sheramn right away with their faust. The inf. came next and were killed. This time I sufferd light casultie. Next my 2 squads found a pair of 60mm mortars, killing both.

These guys are doing some damage. I sent them forward again along the road, one sqaud on each side. They run into 2 shermans and about a platoon of inf. They manage to knock out the first sherman but with the last faust. The American inf. attacks and causes severe caulties on the heroic sqauds. So I withdrew them ending their rein of terror. Their finnaly tally, 4 Shermans, two 60mm mortars and I'd guess about 15-25 americans dead.

So I finnaly get to the edge of the town on the right meeting no ressistence along the way. I stop at the edge right below the wooded treeline. Finnaly I meet some American trrops. Ofcoaurse I suffer light causlties at first contact, but all 7 stugs open fire with about 6-8 LMGs. The Americans last about 2 min. I overun their possitins storiming into the town. I quickly take out the 57mm and the rest of the Garrison by turn 25.

I quickly consalidate my possition and await any counter-attack. I set up my Stugs, set up reserves and my FO's which as of yet have to call some arty down. For about 2 turns I wait and nothing. So I decide to sent 2 squads up toward and beyond the swampleft of the city. I spot 2 shermans. My troops knock those out quick. But Troops follow and lots of them. So I withdraw and get ready for what I am thinking small desperate counter attack to break out. (little side note, by taking the town so fast I pretty much cut off all the American units) But it soon turns out the troops attacking the town is a huge force. My stugs keep firing and firing and my troops keep moving the Charging Americans. Seemed like the Ostfront here. I call down my arty 150mm and all the 81mm, to no avail. The Americans suffer heavy casualties but keep chaging. I throw in my reserve but they last for only a little while.

I ask for a ceae fire a few turns later.

Final result, AXIS MAJOR VISCTORY!!! I held the town!

I have some screeinies I might post of the AAR and of the Americans charging. The Americans charging is breth taking, there is hundred of them!!!

Good work....author!!! Whoare you??!!

Anyway I got a AAR screenshot of you want to see it.

good work, rommel! you attacked in the exact spot (right of the road) where there were no americans.

when i was designing i would look over that default setup and think, "now what are the chances someone will attack down that side? nah... probably won't happen, at least not much of the time." then i figured the thing was kind of like a puzzle... if someone were to attack that weak spot, they would enjoy more success... but you really exceeded anything i'd expected...

so here i am, the scenario designer, having gotten my arse handed to me multiple times, and you waltz right through!

well, like i said, good work.. i'm glad the americans counterattacked. i'm glad you liked it..

i'm actually working on an update for that one... the map is improved and there should be even more forces, including u.s. air support and naval artillery....

i'm going to tone down the mgs and use more squads... some information i have has the 17th ss being at -40% cadre, so i'm going to use a lot of conscript platoon and company hqs (no modifiers... basically fodder) to represent that... it should be around 5-6 companies of motorized infantry, plus a 60% strength para battalion... the massive amounts of mgs will be abstracted through the use of squads. the idea is that, with the poor platoon hqs, the squads will have to attach to the company hqs... i wish cmbo had a way to purchase platoon hqs separately from squads... or if it had a way to tell it, 'make each platoon 5 squads and 1 hq' but using conscript hqs is the best thing i can think of...

the u.s. will start with just paras, and the shermans will appear with halftrack infantry in a counterattack... it will be changed to meeting action, and the flags will be all over the map....

the roads, town, fields, and elevations remain basically the same, but the woods on the roadsides are changed to scattered trees, and turned into 'hedgerows' through use of the elevation tool... there are some other changes to the map based on user feedback... the orchard patterns are different for one thing... there is also a walled chateau in there....

oh... hate to say it but the german paras won't be crack across the board.... new info suggests that they had underaged (that i knew) and overaged troops, but were 'well-equipped'... so they'll still have lots of firepower, but probably be regular to crack, instead of all crack...

by using conscripts for some of the hqs of of the 17th it will better reflect the cadre shortage, and surplus of privates..

oh... i'm thinking of throwing in the recon company shared between the 37th and 38th regiments... for that i'm thinking of 15 spw 250/9 + 7 spw 251/9.... the 250/9s will be tweaked with most or all HE, and the 251/9s will have a nice load of 'c'

i would like to included onboard 81mm mortars, as well as some towed 20mm...

i've already purchased the u.s. force... over 10000 points...

this one should resemble 'putot' in that it will be a german attack-u.s. counterattack... i'm still toying with the idea of having the north edge an exit zone...

anyway, the new one is called, 'baptism of fire' (has anyone used that name yet?) so i'll leave the original as is and upload this new, 'super scenario' when i get a chance....

yes here is the reasoning behind using scattered trees instead of hedgerows:

1) it seems there should be a single, hedgerow/road/hedgerow tile type. as it is, the hedgerow kind of 'sticks out' with all of that clear terrain on each side. somehow, using raised scattered trees/woods seems to 'look better.'

2) i find it difficult to believe that ALL u.s. afvs could cross hedgerows at will and NO german ones could. my understanding was that, they could be crossed (at least in spots), but only at the risk of exposing belly armor. the u.s. had 'hedgehogs,' but did they have them on every afv, even a week after the invasion had been launched and no major american armored offensive had yet been undertaken? it seems like widespread 'hedgehog' use would have come over a bit more time.

so, by using raised rows of woods and scattered trees, some parts can be made impassible (slope on both sides, +2 elevation) to passible (+1 elevation)...

it's not a perfect compromise but again, i'm glad you liked it.

another one which is challenging but fictional is 'midnight.' the default british setup in that one might be tougher to beat. i found free setup to be tough too... there you have a large german recon formation (battalion?) trying to attack canadians... "12th ss versus canadians."

'putot' is another classic, based on a day-long battle but compressed into 75 turns or so...

andy