Mac users w/Radeon 8500, please read

I have a 32MB Radeon ( OEM ) which i got from OWC at the start of the year . It is fitted to my QS 800DP which is running OS 9..2.2 with the July ATI radeon drivers installed..and as far as i can see..there is transparent / fading smoke.

The G4 originally came with the 64MB Nvidia GF 3 card..but i was getting crap visuals with that.

Regards

Måkjager

What I suspect here are driver quality problems. The latest ATI drivers are probably the main culprit for the 'downsampled-look' to the textures rather than actual amount of texture memory taken up by CMBB. Ironically, any FSAA option may be making the textures look worse in this case.

I'm surprised that the Radeon drivers worked for the Rage Orion (a Rage 128 chip). More than likely it was only using the 'common extensions' between the two boards, but using its own unique driver/extensions, which is the difference here.

I suspect that ATI has attempted to 'jam in' more performance at the sacrifice of image quality with the latest drivers (something that happens with almost every other driver release from ATI and NVidia). From what I gather though, the ATI boards still perform and look better in a number of other non-CM applications. The latest NVidia drivers may look a tad-bit better for some things in CM, but have problems with other things (sky textures - a result of probably being unable to properly handle textures of certain aspect ratios). There may also be some slight differences between certain Radeon boards that the drivers are applying. If not, then then maybe a bit of 'hunt and peck' with extension management is in order to find a particular extension that may be causing problems (and it might not be an ATI extension).

[ October 05, 2002, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Ignatious J. Fathead :

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

Originally posted by Lord General MB:

Bump

I'm not into the culture of these boards and have no idea what this response means. </font>

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

What I suspect here are driver quality problems. The latest ATI drivers are probably the main culprit for the 'downsampled-look' to the textures rather than actual amount of texture memory taken up by CMBB. Ironically, any FSAA option may be making the textures look worse in this case.

This could well be -- my Rage Orion has 16MB VRAM, and my Rage 128 Pro also has 16 MB VRAM. The Rage 128 Pro experiences less downsampling (but its framerate is MUCH worse).

I'm surprised that the Radeon drivers worked for the Rage Orion (a Rage 128 chip). More than likely it was only using the 'common extensions' between the two boards, but using its own unique driver/extensions, which is the difference here.

Yes, that's almost certainly correct. When I said "same drivers" I meant "same driver download" -- in this case, the "RADEON-0207" download, which according to ATI's site is used for the Orion and various Radeon cards.

• 2 weeks later...