Two strange things with 1.01 (and 1.0 also)

Sorry if this was already discussed, but I have no time to do a search, ok ;)

1 - Pillboxes not firing seems to get out of LOS, even as close as 50 mts. This was in a PBEM with 1.01. I think my opponent may have the file if needed, as he was suffering it. I noticed something similar with 1.0, but as I was far from the PB, I thought that was normal.

2 - Strange behaviour of entrenched units under arty fire. I mean, is realistic that a unit under shelling will leave his Trench to risk to sneak back in the Open, Woods or Trees?. My gut feeling is that if you are being fired at with arty, you will try to dig a deeper hole for your poor soul. And a Trench is a good place to start digging. Unless, of course, that Trenches don't offer any improved protection against incoming arty.

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Not sure about number 1, but number 2 has been discussed on more than one thread. Sorry, can't remember the thread titles.

Yes, number 2 happens all the time in my games, both to me and my opponents, and it does seem unrealistic. I think you might break but stay in the same hole or other cover. The breaking under arty fire seems a bit more common in CMBB than CMBO???

[ November 25, 2002, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

argie - I've seen no.1 happen to me in a PBEM game. I had a Co commander overlooking an enemy AT bunker in the open at around 100m away.

When it fired at some of my more distant units he could spot it (I even traced a target LOS to it in my turn to be sure). When it stopped he suddenly could no longer see it :confused:

As it was in the open and he had binoculars I couldn't figure it out either. My only theory is that he had left the lens cap on the binoculars when he tried to look thru it :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

I would be shocked if they were daytime/clear. Maybe dawn or dusk and overcast?

In Argie's/mine example it was dawn/dusk and clear. I had about two coy's worth of inf in sight of three pillboxes at a distance of maybe 300m. Then I had my conscript T34 standing still at 50m distance behind one of the markers, facing it, not seeing anything at all. Then I moved the tank to another pillbox, same procedure same result: nothing.

I have seent he pillbox effcet as well the last time was playing Cemetery Hill. Same symptoms as described above. I think this may be a genuine problem for BFC to look at.

As regards the breaking under fire whilst in a trench it does seem odd but what would someone do who has completley lost their reason because they were getting hammered by artillery, especially when their unit has been reduced to just two or three men and the commander is not on the spot?

At that stage a man is not thinking rationally; to get away from the certain death which will be theirs if they stay where they are may be all that fills their minds.

WWI history, and not a few Brit court martial records, contains many examples of such behaviour by individuals. Is it to much of a leap to suggest that the two or three equally terrified companions of the first man to break to this extent might follow his example?

I would hestitate to nail my trousers to the mast on this one, but I suggest that perhaps there is historical evidence to suggest that the behaviour may not be completely unreasonable in certain circumstances.

Originally posted by DrAlimantado:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

I would be shocked if they were daytime/clear. Maybe dawn or dusk and overcast?

In Argie's/mine example it was dawn/dusk and clear. I had about two coy's worth of inf in sight of three pillboxes at a distance of maybe 300m. Then I had my conscript T34 standing still at 50m distance behind one of the markers, facing it, not seeing anything at all. Then I moved the tank to another pillbox, same procedure same result: nothing.</font>

Silvio,

Your suggestions are certainly plausible but don't cover my experience in the Cemetery Hill scenario. When the machine gun in a bunker was firing the world and his wife could see it; it stops firing and, poof!, its gone, disappeared like a magicians dove. Given that the german troops in that game are veteran, the poor troops + dawn argument doesn't hold.

On reading the manual again I see no reason why pill boxes and bunkers should not receive the camo bonus, but once spotted surely they should stay spotted as long as they remain within the LOS of a unit that has them under continuous observation.

Cheers