Night at Chenaux

Guest MantaRay

That was the rather small "get the Germans across the map ASAP scenario" right? If so, I agree. I had planned to push up to the two objective hills in the map middle, wipe the defenders off, and then pull back to let the exected American arty reaction hit empty turf.

I guess I waited one minute too long, as the artillery started coming down right as my troops were getting out of their fighting positions on the hills for the pullback. 2 platoons, already hurt from infantry fighting, either broke and ran (reg/Vet platoons!) or were eradicated. Then a M4-105 popped out of town and began smiting everything it could see with D/F.

The worst (BEST) part of the battle was when my StuH, supporting on the right flank, took some fire from an unseen US infantry unit. In reaction, it swiveled a little toward the apparent source, and began dropping HE shells ON FRIENDLY UNITS. It must have known only that it was taking fire from direction X, and there were some infantry barely visible along direction X, so it MUST HAVE BEEN THEM!! The better platoon of the right flank went from holding good fire positions under enemy pressure to half-strength remnants running willynilly about in panic. Ouch.

But the game locked up before I could finish, and then (strange as this sounds) I had something more important to do: read a bedtime story.

DjB

Woohoo! What a great scenario! This one had my heart pounding throughout. I played as Allies and managed a major win, but it was tough. I think that I got lucky. Those ostwinds sure mowe down whole squads quickly. It shocked me at first as one of my squads was moving forward and all of a sudden I heard vrrrrrr and my whole squad was dead. Great job BTS! And it only will get better with so many more scenarios yet to play!

Guest MantaRay

Yeah, I was like Where the Hell did they hit my guns from!!!!!

I was playing as Germans, and as every scenario I have played so far, I didnt move any forces around during the setup phase. I like to just do the default ones for now to see how they surprise me.

Don't want to be on the recieving end of too many of the AI barrages though. Man they are so good with it.

Ended up with a Tactical Victory, but it is still the most mood-altering scenario I have played so far.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

The reason I got lucky, is that one Panther came out of a village and got bogged down in the field after initially repulsing my troops back. But I didn't see any infantry support, so after I regrouped I crawled back in, snuk in a bazooka from the flank, and let him have it. Panther took three upper hull penetrating hits, but did not die. I finaly had to move in one of my tanks to finish him off. Boy, what a relief when he finaly went up in flames. I screamed with joy. HeHe. The other Panther never left the village and ended up surrendering. That was my biggest break. If he came down the road I think that the story would of been different. The fight between the SS and my elite and crack teams was the best that I have seen yet. Yes I have won, but at a great cost. 176 casualties with 40 dead. Germans 150 casualties and 36 dead. Score 75 to 25 if I remember correctly. I destroyed all of his vehicles, except that one Panther. I did not loose any of my vehicles. The whole field was littered with bodies after the battle, giving it that sombering and depressing look. It made me pause afterwards and reflect back and I felt very sorry for the men that I have lost. BTS made a right decision on including the bodies, but only one man marker. If they would shown every casualty, it would make me sick. As it was, in one of the buildings there were stacks of bodies both Allied and German. By the way, the visuals of buildings exploding are just excellent. This is the best game that I have played, that goes without saying.