Disengaging - why is it such a mystery ?

Evening,

I have noted quite a few posts on infantry behaviour ( we know it can be bad) in BB.

Disengaging is now MUCH harder since it frequently means ALSO recovering from being pinned.

I think it was in the Manual and also in a good article on this Forum that attacking cannot be done with parity with the enemy. Add to that passage " withdrawing cannot be achieved with the units that just did the attack" [ and got pinned for thier trouble}.

Attacking units also get tired - esp MG's.

German

So what would YOU do commander?

I would have smoke ( for German) making equipment close at hand ( and in LOS). You have to blind the enemy so the "little pricks" will stop firing at your units. Yes, stop firing....

So, use 81mm, AFV, OBA anything that has smoke and GTF !!! out of the [help I'm going to get] beaten zone.

If possable use TRP's as " safety nets" around your attack zone.

Also, face the fact that your attack method may be faulty. Set up your own small game and practice methods that suit you.

Russian

(as the AI)

For the Russian, he will almost invariably roll up AFV and try to grind your position to dust , that is, HIS method of disengagement will be simply to crush what is in front of him failing that he will hide in the best terrain ( esp : woods, dips).

Whether it is due to the game engine or lower quality troops I have noticed the Russian ( as AI) defends the flags OR holds pretty much in place. In effect he doesn't disengage.

I only mention this as it is fun, alibet a bit brutal, to encircle a Russian position ( say a forrest or town) and mow them down with AFV mg's and OBA as they try and run back to thier lines.

anyway, keep up the good work soldaten or commrade smile.gif

Well, this has been discussed a few times recently.

The smoke doesn't work too well, some several reasons:

1) smoke from on-board units may be too few and too small and you may have to use previously unspotted tanks.

2) smoke from off-board needs at least one turn more and the opponent can see what you are up to. He can use the smoke to rush you and knows it is safe. Or he can target mortars behind your lines so that your guys run into the fire.

3) in CMBB, units do not become unpinned right after the enemy fire stops. They are often pinned for some more turns, all that while the smoke fades away while giving the enemy cover.

I was thinking it would be nice if the infantry units could come with a one or two smoke grenades (another add on like molotovs or satchel charges) to be used in these situations (i.e. break LOS of the attacker) so that you could do a withdrawal. Maybe limit the smoke grenades to command units and limit the distance they can be used.

If your opponent saw you using the smoke then they may be inclined to rush your position knowing that you are withdrawing BUT, what if you stayed so you could ambush the attacker? :D

I don't have too much problems disengaging. I load up on covering fire, then SNEAK my engaged (pinned) troops a few meters back into cover (if you're in open-cover, you're screwed, and you need to use withdraw). Then I just tell them to advance or assault 180 degrees to the enemy. Works great.

Originally posted by Commander:

I was thinking it would be nice if the infantry units could come with a one or two smoke grenades (another add on like molotovs or satchel charges) to be used in these situations (i.e. break LOS of the attacker) so that you could do a withdrawal. Maybe limit the smoke grenades to command units and limit the distance they can be used.

Smoke grenades were not used for this purpose historically, SL, ASL, and CC notwithstanding, so don't expect BTS to add them to CM.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Commander:

Smoke grenades were not used for this purpose historically, SL, ASL, and CC notwithstanding, so don't expect BTS to add them to CM.

Michael</font>

"I think it was in the Manual and also in a good article on this Forum that attacking cannot be done

with parity with the enemy. Add to that passage " withdrawing cannot be achieved with the units that

just did the attack" [ and got pinned for thier trouble}."

this is also a good point and worth repeating

Attacking cannot be done with parity with the enemy...

AND

" withdrawing cannot be achieved with the units that

just did the attack" [ and got pinned for thier trouble}."

-tom w