Way To Go!!

Check out the .50cal vs. SPW 251 HT chart, as well as the MG42 HMG vs. M3 HT chart, here:

russellmz's FAQ

It's the first *color* chart as you scroll down, you can't miss it.

As you can see, the .50cal can kill SPW 251 class HT's out to 1000m from the sides and rear (with a near-perpendicular aspect) and out to ~350m from the front.

The really neat thing is that MG42 HMG's can waste Allied M3-class HT's. Last night I lost an M3A1 HT to a Pillbox MG, it was an oblique side shot at 150m (HT abandoned). Max.range for this is around 250m, is you have a perpendicular shot.

[ August 06, 2002, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

One fine night in France...

About 0100 a halftrack and two M16s [...HTs with quad-mounted fifties for AA duty] of B Battery moved into a bivouac area south of Villedieu-Les-Poeles. During his reconnaissance for machine-gun positions, Captain Shaw, the Battery Commander, discovered a German Mark IV tank parked on the other side of a hedgerow. Captain Shaw withdrew hastily to enlist aid in destroying the tank. He returned with three men and some TNT with which to blow the tracks on the tank. [...you gotta be freakin' kidding me!] Just as he was about to ignite the fuze, the tank commander, armed with a machine pistol, stood up to take a look around. One of the men struck the German on the head with a hand axe and grappled with him. The German, in the ensuing struggle, was shot by his own weapon.

During the melee with the remainder of the crew, Captain Shaw managed to drop an incendiary grenade into the tank. The Americans jumped from the tank and the gunner scrambled back inside. When Captain Shaw's grenade exploded, the crew immediately abandoned the tank. The Americans shot the gunner but the others escaped. [...still with me? here's the money shot -- ]

The light from the grenade illuminated several other enemy vehicles in an adjacent orchard. By this time one of the M16s had moved up to where it could fire into the orchard and immediately went into action, firing 800 rounds of .50 caliber ammunition at anything and everything that moved. Tremendous fires were started by the incendiary bullets. A count the next morning showed that there had been destroyed, in addition to the Mark IV tank, one armored half-track, three trucks loaded with gasoline and ammunition, two motorcycles, two personnel carriers, and one building [!!!] containing an enemy headquarters. Abandoned were five trucks, two motorcycles, two radio and reconnaissance cars, one sedan, and a [...patridge in a pear tree] field kitchen complete with flour and meat. Five Germans were killed, seven wounded, and nine captured, and an unknown number had fled.

- unattributed report from "Combat Lessons Learned" vol. 5 (pp 37-38, or pp 45-46 of the PDF file)

...so there you have it. Dead halftrack IRL. Though oddly enough, I don't think that a single aggressive act mentioned in that passage can be modeled in CMBO. Not that I'm anxious to see hand-to-hand fighting with axes included in the gnu engine, but it would be kind of fun to knock out a field kitchen. Take that, Fritz -- you're going to bed tonight without any supper! And don't let me catch you decoding Enigma messages with a flashlight under the covers again, young man.

Interesting stories guys, and here's another from one of my current PBEM games. Well, it's not exactly a story, just another(to me anyway), odd incident, where my jeep approached a mortar crew who were out of mortar ammo, however they attacked the jeep and it burst into flames and was knocked out.

Originally posted by athkatla:

...they attacked the jeep and it burst into flames and was knocked out.

I know why this happened! You've seen SPR right..? Well the crew offcourse used mortars the same way, priming them and throwing them at the jeep... :D

I havent tried moving a KO:d mortar team to a second story in a house and dropping stuff on passing krauts... Its gotta work I tell you

Jussi

Originally posted by Jussi Köhler:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by athkatla:

...they attacked the jeep and it burst into flames and was knocked out.

I know why this happened! You've seen SPR right..? Well the crew offcourse used mortars the same way, priming them and throwing them at the jeep... :D

I havent tried moving a KO:d mortar team to a second story in a house and dropping stuff on passing krauts... Its gotta work I tell you

Jussi</font>

Originally posted by athkatla:

[QB]Interesting stories guys, and here's another from one of my current PBEM games. Well, it's not exactly a story, just another(to me anyway), odd incident, QB]

Odd incidents :

Didnt notice you complaining when I had troops

( I wont tell you the exact No until we finnish the game !)inside your AT bunker and your gun was still firing .... smile.gif

I wouldnt have minded too much, but your other units were engaging mine whilst inside the damn bunker. :eek:

Lou2000

Originally posted by Jussi Köhler:

The best part is that it wasn't just hollywood fiction, something like this really happened. The following is from the Medal of Honor citation for Corporal Charles Kelly:

"U.S. Army, Company L, 143d Infantry, 36th Infantry Division. Place and date: Near Altavilla, Italy, 13 September 1943. Entered service at: Pittsburgh, Pa. Birth: Pittsburgh, Pa. G.O. No.: 13, 18 February 1944. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty. On 13 September 1943, near Altavilla, Italy, Cpl. Kelly voluntarily joined a patrol which located and neutralized enemy machinegun positions. After this hazardous duty he volunteered to establish contact with a battalion of U.S. infantry which was believed to be located on Hill 315, a mile distant. He traveled over a route commanded by enemy observation and under sniper, mortar, and artillery fire; and later he returned with the correct information that the enemy occupied Hill 315 in organized positions. Immediately thereafter Cpl. Kelly, again a volunteer patrol member, assisted materially in the destruction of 2 enemy machinegun nests under conditions requiring great skill and courage. Having effectively fired his weapon until all the ammunition was exhausted, he secured permission to obtain more at an ammunition dump. Arriving at the dump, which was located near a storehouse on the extreme flank of his regiment's position, Cpl. Kelly found that the Germans were attacking ferociously at this point. He obtained his ammunition and was given the mission of protecting the rear of the storehouse. He held his position throughout the night. The following morning the enemy attack was resumed. Cpl. Kelly took a position at an open window of the storehouse. One machine gunner had been killed at this position and several other soldiers wounded. Cpl. Kelly delivered continuous aimed and effective fire upon the enemy with his automatic rifle until the weapon locked from overheating. Finding another automatic rifle, he again directed effective fire upon the enemy until this weapon also locked. At this critical point, with the enemy threatening to overrun the position, Cpl. Kelly picked up 60mm. mortar shells, pulled the safety pins, and used the shells as grenades, killing at least 5 of the enemy. When it became imperative that the house be evacuated, Cpl. Kelly, despite his sergeant's injunctions, volunteered to hold the position until the remainder of the detachment could withdraw. As the detachment moved out, Cpl. Kelly was observed deliberately loading and firing a rocket launcher from the window. He was successful in covering the withdrawal of the unit, and later in joining his own organization. Cpl. Kelly's fighting determination and intrepidity in battle exemplify the highest traditions of the U.S. Armed Forces."

If you ask me, Sgt. Kelly might have been a little crazy. How else do you explain this picture of him on the book "he wrote" in 1944?

Edit: The link to the photo of Sgt. Kelly broke. Too bad, he looked particularly off kilter.

[ September 24, 2002, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Alsatian ]