CMBB airpower !

Just read this thread from about 4 weeks ago regarding aircraft in CMBB....

Airpower thread

...Im currently playing a PBEM and chose aircraft for the first time ... 2 x Hs-129's and had some good results with them ... 3 x KV-1 kills in a single run !!!

Was this just lucky, or typical ?

(I should mention that my opponent didnt bring any AA to the party, so they are pretty safe.)

Also just watching the areas the A/C attacked provides a good indication as to where certain troop concentrations are.

Just interested in other players experiences using aircraft - makes a change from tanks ;)

Lou2000

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

Sturmoviks are freaking gargoyles: In a single match, it took out both my Pz IVH and an armored car, and the sprayed the remains with bullets. The whole time, my two 20mm flaks kept pounding away at it - no effect. :eek:

1.01 should address the range at which AA assets start engaging aircraft. So I suspect it will even out a bit more, with more AC being driven off/damaged/maybe even destroyed.

Just interested in other players experiences using aircraft - makes a change from tanks ;)

Lou2000[/QB]

I just finished an early war QB as the Germans. I bought four (4!) of the gun/cannon only planes... Hs-123? The were only around 60 points each.

My PzIIs and one short-gunned PzIV accounted for, IIRC, 1 T-26, 1 tankette (T-38?) and 1 T-60. (Though they all got lots of infantry, thanks for asking.)

The planes KO'd another 4-5 T-26s, 2 tankettes and 3-4 T-60s. Cool!

Out of (again, IIRC) 12 runs only one air-attack was against German units (an 81mm mortar squad was KO'd.)

My opponent thinks he could have reduced losses to the Hs-123s if he'd rushed all the tanks to cover (seems likely), but, given his experience with CMBO, he just couldn't believe that there'd be so many planes and so many strafing runs.

Heh heh.

[ October 29, 2002, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Tarqulene ]

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

Sturmoviks are freaking gargoyles: In a single match, it took out both my Pz IVH and an armored car, and the sprayed the remains with bullets. The whole time, my two 20mm flaks kept pounding away at it - no effect. :eek:

In the game, flak gunners on both sides can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn...well if the barn was flying that is.

Now, as for the IL2 itself, it literaly was a flying T-34. The Soviet IL2 was the most produced aircraft of WWII. The Later models with the twin 37mm cannons can really to a number on just about any panzer. It's kind of like if a B-17 and a P-47 had a baby. :D

But if you really want to talk flying tank, how about the Yak-9K with the 45mm cannon in the nose or for the early war Years the US leand-Lease P-39s with the 37mm Nose cannon, and don't forget that kick ass hardware in "IL2 Sturmovik" like the 150 Molotovs or 96 50lb bombs you can drop at once, or those sweet Ampolet and napalm layers! Hey! Why isn't this stuff in the game?

BTS MUST DO SOMEFINK! I NEED MY RUSKIE HARDWARE OF DEATH!

(It's in all caps and bold, now I'm sure to get an answer)

I was playing as attacking Axis on a Probe mission against a human opponent. Losses caused by a single Sturmovik:

2 Halftracks

1 150mm inf gun

1 81mm mortar

1 MG42 HMG

1 Wespe

I admit that the artillery casualties were mostly collateral damage, as they were hauled by the the true targets, the halftracks. Doesn't really ease the pain. And this time, I had a 37mm flak: apparently it was kind enough to allow the IL-2 to drop all of it's ordnance before shooting it down.

Has anyone noticed that when a plane destroys a vehicle, it seems to freak out all units in the immediate vicinity (kinda logical, I guess)? In that probe match, I also had a 150mm artillery spotter: it was walking by the halftrack that got blown up. When this happened the spotter routed and ran crying to the nearest patch of forest. I had to relieve a platoon HQ with a morale bonus just to get the damn spotter moving again... Not really funny when it takes ten turns in a match of twenty.