purchasing units

This will no doubt come off as a total noob question, but so be it.

I've recently been messing around with quick battles, trying to set one up for a PBEM with my brother. Anyway, when I set it to armor for 1000 points I see a distribution of points I can allocate to infantry, support, armor etc.

I proceed to try and purchase some infantry and no matter what I choose the program told me it wasn't allowed.

So ultimately I set it up with armor only and some support. This was all well and good for killing the other sides armor, but for taking and holding victory flags it was problematic. The interesting part is the AI managed to select infantry just fine.

What did I do wrong here? Clearly I'm missing something obvious about how this works.

to answer my own question i went and set up a quick battle again and this time paid a bit more attention

i figured out what i was doing wrong

basically when purchasing certain units under a given category i was sometimes picking up incidental units that fell under another category that put it over the limit

i also figured out something even more obvious (at least it's obvious to me now), you can stay under each and every category and still easily exceed the max you're alloted - that's the other error i was making

anyway, set up a 1500 point meeting engagement i got to use a flak 88 for the 1st time - i put it on top of a hill with a good view of what i thought would be an entry point for opposing armor and guessed right - took out 3 tanks with just the flak 88

btw, the AI purchased a fighter/bomber that flew over a few times attempting to take out my armor and it did very little damage if any to anything - considering the cost, do humans ever bother purchasing it?

Airplanes in CMBO were only useful when you knew your opponent would come in with lots of thin armor, then the medium aircraft weapons could shine. Otherwise they are a waste of points.

In CMBB you have more control over what you get, and infantry in the open can get seriously pinned by aircraft.

Friendly aircraft fire is a risk in both games.

ah good, i was wondering when you'd finally show up!

this place is a great resource for all things CM

i think i've figured out the basics of setting up a quick battle and how to purchase units

like i was telling you via e-mail, you ought to run through a couple QB's against the AI so you're familiar with it and then we can give it a go

and not to worry about "cooked up" missions, each side gets the same choices in terms of unit quality (green, vet, etc) and the amount of points you can spend on each type of unit (armor, infantry, support, etc) - the terrain is random, the trees are random, flags, etc.

that's the cool thing about QB's, they're a perfect way to set up a PBEM or IP battle that's even - as opposed to the chance encounter engagement we're currently fighting where as far as i can tell the terrain except for the hill with trees is all to the allies advantage smile.gif