All the LMGs

In a recent Operation Vs. the AI, I noticed that one of my Pioneer squads had somehow acquired an extra MG42. Later on, I picked up that a motorised team had managed the same trick and were packing 2 LMGs.

This was on day 3, battle 7, so both units had seen some action.

Does this happen to anyone else, and does anyone know what causes it to happen. It's very cool.

I would post some screen shots, but I don't have any web hosting space I know how to use.

And if you're looking for even more automatics, ISTR that the FJs have some squads w/ 2 LMGs and multiple MP40s. 'course, it'd be a bit odd for FJs to appear all that often compared to regular Heer, and you lose most of your AFV choices...

Originally posted by flamingknives:

In a recent Operation Vs. the AI, I noticed that one of my Pioneer squads had somehow acquired an extra MG42. Later on, I picked up that a motorised team had managed the same trick and were packing 2 LMGs.

This was on day 3, battle 7, so both units had seen some action.

Does this happen to anyone else, and does anyone know what causes it to happen. It's very cool.

I would post some screen shots, but I don't have any web hosting space I know how to use.

I assume you meant that you know that some squads (Fallschrimjaeger, Gebirgsjager, Motorized, Panzergrenadier, Heavy SMG, etc.) come with 2 LMG, but you had already lost the 2nd LMG in the affected squads in earlier battles...yet now they have a 2nd LMG again. If so, it could be that some heavily depleted squads were recycled into other squads...I think that can happen in Operations.

After a battle CM will combine some of the squads to make full ones. The guys take their weapons with them. I haven't seen 3 MG42s in a squad, but I have seen 2 Brens in a British rifle squad, for example.

This is the thing, squads under 50% strength vanish between battles and don't seem to be used to replenish less depleted squads.

As an example, a PzGr.(armr) platoon takes 2 casualties each from 2 squads and 4 from another. Next battle, the 4 man squad has gone, and the two remaining end up on say 6 on one and 7 in the other. (Cmd sqd is untouched.) Where do the other three uninjured men go?

The really peculiar thing in this case is that I don't think that the Pioneer unit took casualties at any point in the operation (jammy gits).