Central Park Map? Any ideas?

I'd like to create a CM map of Central Park because, well, I live in New York and I think it would be really cool to have a battle there.

I've walked through the place a number of times and noticed in my sick freakish way a number of great spots for ambushes and mg nests and so on. But its a complicated sorta place and im not sure how to get started. Any ideas???

I thought NYC was enough of a battlezone anyway. :D

Seriously, though, are you talking a map of JUST Central Park or are you including some of the buildings along the edges (the Museum, etc.)? I assume you are NOT including any of hte high rise buildings lining the Park as they cannot be accurately modeled in CM.

Also, are you including the lake or not?

MrSpkr

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

I thought NYC was enough of a battlezone anyway. :D

Seriously, though, are you talking a map of JUST Central Park or are you including some of the buildings along the edges (the Museum, etc.)? I assume you are NOT including any of hte high rise buildings lining the Park as they cannot be accurately modeled in CM.

Also, are you including the lake or not?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

These days the most violent things in New York are the clashing colors of the spring fashion lines. Whose idea was it to bring back all these pastels, I ask you???

Other than that, New York is pretty safe right now.

M inclination would be to include just the park.

I wouldn't include any of the buildings on the edges or (duh) the skyscrapers, since none of those are actually "in" the "park" as I "define" it. smile.gif

The lake? Sure, why not. Maybe we could work out something with assault boats.... heh heh he heh.

I guess the first step would be laying my hands on a good topographical map of the park or an arial photo...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maastrictian:

Certainly an interesting idea. Obviously you wouldn't want to do the whole park I assume. As its something like .75 miles x 3 miles.

Some links:

http://www.centralparknyc.org/cparkmap.pdf

http://nyc.gov/html/dpr/home.html(no map, but you could find someone to e-mail here)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks for these. I studied the .pdf map. Looks like the most interesting stuff is below 97th street. I probably would do the map from there, and would include the Met.

Imagine shelling it and setting it on fire... muaha ha ha ha.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terence:

I'd like to create a CM map of Central Park because, well, I live in New York and I think it would be really cool to have a battle there.

I've walked through the place a number of times and noticed in my sick freakish way a number of great spots for ambushes and mg nests and so on. But its a complicated sorta place and im not sure how to get started. Any ideas???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need a good map to start with. One approach is to draw a grid over it such that each square (e.g. 1 x 1 cm) encloses what will be a 100 x 100 m square in the CM map editor. This allows you to scale the map however you like, and means that you can get the whole park in, albeit a proportionately smaller one.

Using the squares as guidelines you can then place the roads and any prominent landmarks. This gives you a skeleton onto which the other details can be added. I think the manual says you should do the elevations first, but I find they're better left until last. If the rest of the map is right, the elevations should cause any real problems.

All in all, it's a surprisingly creative process. Have fun.

smile.gif

Regards etc...

Edited due to influence of red wine...mmmmmm...

[ 04-09-2001: Message edited by: Holdit ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

The NY public library almost certainly has US Geological survey maps that could give you the topographical information. Combine that with an overhead view of the park and you should have it.

MrSpkr<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

an excellent thought. I will check it out and let you guys know what I discover. I imagine that when im done you may want to take a look, so Ill just post in this thread and send the map to anyone who wants it.

What you need is the DEM for Manhattan and then convert it to a nice ASCII xyz file and then extract the area that you want and convert the z data to CM system. Then you need to enter the data in the map editor. A way to import digital topo into the editor would be cool but it doesn't exist (yet) so start clicking! You can get the topo from the GIS Data Depot:

http://www.gisdatadepot.com/catalog/US/61061/sublist.html

and aerial photos from the NY Public Library.