Mac OS 10.2 & CM - Bad news

Originally posted by Ignatious J. Fathead:

By all means, complain to Apple. But as I read in another thread, Apple has updated RAVE support in 10.2, but CM still won't run in the Classic Environment. So -- at the risk of playing human mine detector here -- maybe this problem should not be placed entirely on Apple's shoulders. Might it not be appropriate to rattle CM's cage as well?

I personally blame Quark for promising to release a proper OSX compatible version in early 2003. Just imagine the chaos if they had done it the same time as Photoshop 7 ;)

I sent this in

I doubt it will do any good but I edit the other complaint letter and complained some more.

Everyone who reads this thread should send in some form of complaint.

Use this letter and just edit it a little and complain some more to them.

"I am an avid player of a made on a Mac game called Combat Mission made by an enthusiastic, small and independant company called Battlefront(.com). (BFC) They started out as two guys and released Combat Mission about 2 years ago for BOTH the MAC and PC at the ame time, the Game was a huge, RUN AWAY hit in the wargamer community.

I bought the original game Combat Mission:Beyond Overlord (three years in development, but they were caught out when Apple changed 3D specs to Open GL) when all I had was a Umax Pulsar and to due the demands of the game I chose to upgrade to a G4 DP450 and purchase an aftermarket ATI Radeon graphics card. Battlefront are due to release in next couple of weeks a new game Combat Mission: Berlin to Barbarossa (CMBB) based on the same engine as CM:BO.

see this thread for more info:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=026076;p=2

While the new game ( two years in development) will run on my current machine in OS9 (and in OSX only by disabling RAVE and getting to run in Software Emulation in Classic - v poorly), I was seriously considering to upgrade to a new G4 tower Mac in 2003 - Until I saw that Macs will not boot in OS9 which obviously will close a door on my being able to play my favourite game. Please can you offer some suggestions/alter specs so I can enjoy in the near future the best Macs working in harmony with only recently released 3rd party software.

I am seriously dissappointed the OXS does not support RAVE game and when you attempt to run Combat Mission CMBO and CMBB in Classic it does not work because there is NO RAVE support for Games in Mac OSX classic."

-tom w

[ September 10, 2002, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

...maybe this problem should not be placed entirely on Apple's shoulders. Might it not be appropriate to rattle CM's cage as well?

And what precisely do you expect to accomplish by that, other than aggravating BTS? There is no, repeat NO chance that CMBB is going to be altered in any way that will make it X-compatible. Sad news, but that's how it is. I'm pretty sure that they are already committed to making CMII X-compatible, so rattling their cage there isn't going to change anything either. It is all well and good to have made the point that we all (Mac users, that is) desire X-compatibility in the future. That has been done. Now can we turn to other topics, please?

Michael

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

And what precisely do you expect to accomplish by that, other than aggravating BTS?

You might as well ask the same question about bugging Apple, but I don't see you objecting to that.

I don't object to either, and I don't worry about "aggravating" companies whose products I buy. Sometimes it's the best way of keeping them apprised of your expectations as a customer.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael emrys:

And what precisely do you expect to accomplish by that, other than aggravating BTS?

You might as well ask the same question about bugging Apple, but I don't see you objecting to that.</font>

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I think it a futile exercise in this instance. But I think Apple's relationship to gamers is quite a bit less intimate than BFC's, and therefore could use more feedback. I don't think Apple has ever taken gamers as a population very seriously. I don't think they see it as an especially lucrative market niche for them. I have also on occasion had the strong impression that Apple finds gamers just a bit beneath Apple's dignity. I think all these views are in need of rectification.

My observation here is that everyone is entitled to their own definition of futility. Personally, I get my kicks chasing around after Tigers with Stuarts, so draw your own conclusions.

As for Apple and gaming, I plead a certain amount of ignorance -- CM is the only game I have either the time or the inclination to play these days, so I'm absolutely not big on the gaming scene. Still, I do know that a couple of game publishers, like MacPlay, seem to get by quite well without Apple's encouragement, so it can be done.

In reality, if I were a truly avid gamer, I'd probably own a game box or a PC, because that's where the action is. (Yes, I'm entirely prepared to concede that the PC is the superior game machine, but I use my Macs primarily for making a living, so once again, draw your own conclusions.)