White blocks for explosions in CMBO

Upgrade your video driver.

Is your driver actually 4.14 or is it 41.xx ? In either case an upgrade to something newer should hopefully fix the problem (which sounds like an alpha-blending/transparency issue).

One source of drivers is Guru3D (go to Graphics Card Drivers - NVIDIA Forceware and then get the 56.64 WHQL driver for Win98/ME) or directly from Nvidia.

I'd suggest uninstalling your video drivers completely (from the Add/Remove Programs control panel). Remove each version that is listed. Hopefully this will remove the INF files as well, if not then you may need to download a 3rd party Nvidia uninstaller (available from the Guru3D site linked to above). With this done reboot Windows and hopefully WinME can detect your videocard. If it doesn't identify it as a GeForce, then install a generic 'SuperVGA' driver and reboot.

Now install the latest WinME driver.

I guess another question is whether you have CMBO moded or not. Also are you using 'high quality' for the smoke effects in CMBO ? The 'fast & compatible' smoke may look a little 'blocky' (though this probably isn't exactly what you're looking at).

• 1 month later...

Update on this continuing problem.

I have tried to uninstall my Nvidia drivers from my PC, but apparently some residue stays behind, and the when I reboot (as it asks to do when removing any programs) the computer finds this residue, and it automatically updates the drivers.

I have tried to d/l a program called Detonator R.I.P. to remove the residue, but when I try to launch the exec. it gives me the following error message:

A required .DLL file, MSCOREE.DLL, was not found.

I d/l the program from 3 different sites, but none work.

Any suggestions?

BTW, I do not have any mods install, and have the game patched to 1.12. The smoke looks fine in both 'fast and compatible' and 'High quality'. Its only the explosions that are white blocks.

Run the Windows Update and download the .NET 1.1 setup (hopefully you have a high-speed connection since this is a 27Mb download). The mscoree.dll file is in this installation.

I'm not sure why your experiencing this problem. I would have assumed that the explosions would exhibit the same characteristics as the smoke quality settings. For high-quality this entails alpha-blending/transparencies. And you say that your CMBO installation is unmodded. This is the BFC/Internet version and not the CDV/retail version (which provides some mods) ?

As time consuming as this is, possibly reinstalling CMBO (backup whatever games you want to keep) and see if that somehow refreshes the files (assuming that there is something wrong with the explosion bitmaps).