Spotter Radio Comms

Hehehe, I'm not sure if this is a joke, but in the event that it isn't I'll tell you the answer.

The radio represents whether the unit is "in command" of an HQ unit. If you have no command, you get no radio or a red slash in your case (depends on the bmp)

smile.gif

As Pillar was saying, all units have this radio. Arty spotters will still call in arty whether they are in command or not, but of course they move sooner and don't get easily shaken if they are under command of an HQ unit.

In general, I keep arty spotters away from the front lines. Therefore, they don't get much enemy fire, and don't need an HQ unit to command them.

------------------

There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

Having arty spotters in command definitely makes a difference. Putting an HQ unit with +1 or +2 leadership bonuses nearby will reduce the spotter's delay time, and increase (somewhat) the accuracy of their bombardment.

Of course only do this if you have an HQ unit to spare, and all your infantry platoons are taken care of leadershipwise.

------------------

"Are you Sgt. Steiner? No, I'm Lili Marlene"

Since this thread seems to be about spotters let me ask this novice level question. During an operation I keep accumulating spotters as reinforcements arrive between battles. Is each of these spotters connected to a seperate battery or do several spotters share a battery?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikEl:

During an operation I keep accumulating spotters as reinforcements arrive between battles. Is each of these spotters connected to a seperate battery or do several spotters share a battery? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Each spotter controls his own battery.

------------------

Cats aren't clean, they're covered with cat spit.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sgt. Steiner:

Having arty spotters in command definitely makes a difference. Putting an HQ unit with +1 or +2 leadership bonuses nearby will reduce the spotter's delay time, and increase (somewhat) the accuracy of their bombardment.

Of course only do this if you have an HQ unit to spare, and all your infantry platoons are taken care of leadershipwise.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't believe so. I've done a good deal of testing of arty and have never seen HQ units impart any benefits accuracy or speed-wise onto arty spotters. There's a lot of variability in how long it takes the spotter to begin firing when you don't use TRPs, which is what you might have been seeing. HQs don't make a difference.

If you want your artillery rounds to come down faster and more accurately, use TRPs (target reference points) or make sure your spotters have LOS to the target. Or both. Also, mortar FOs (81mm, 120mm, 3in, 4.2in) can bring down shells more quickly than can gun or rocket FOs.

HQs can spot for on-board mortar teams, but not for arty FOs (or for mortars mounted on vehicles).

- Chris

[This message has been edited by Wolfe (edited 11-03-2000).]