Museum trip

For a long time now I wanted to visit the Technik Museum in Sinsheim.

Technik Museum Sinsheim

Watch all these vehicles we see in CM in real life! Panthers, Shermans, etc...

So, I thought about doing this together with other Combat Mission addicts.

Since the museum is in Germany, about 120km south of Frankfurt and about 80 km north-west of Stuttgart I guess it mostly appeals to german CM fans, although of course everyone is invited to join.

The museum is pretty easy to reach, either by car or by train.

So, anyone interested in a trip to the museum, maybe on a Saturday afternoon, combined with a little visit to a nice Biergarten afterwards for some (not so) groggy talk?

[ June 05, 2002, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, speaking of which....I drove Sunday to the Patton Museum at Fort Knox, KY. Was about 2 hours south of where I live. There they have many tank models including: M5 Stuart, M1 Abrams, M10, M4A3W(76) "Easy-Eight", M3 "Lee", SPG 105mm "Priest", SPG 155mm "Long Tom", among others.

Also, they have a cut-out King Tiger that you can see into and actually observe the thickness of that awesome front armor. A battle worn Sturmgeschutz III and a Panther II prototype that sported an 88mm gun (no kidding!).

Other items of interest include an 88mm dual purpose Flak/AT gun, Panzerschrecks, Panzerfausts, PIATs and a captured T-72 from the Iraqi "Desert Storm" vintage.

Let me just say that up close a King Tiger is absolutely fearsome! While the modern heavy MBTs such as the T-72 and the M1 Abrams look more deadly than fearsome with the low silhouette and monster cannon.

Anyone near Kentucky USA should try to visit. Admission is free but visitors should know that extensive security screens on vehicles are conducted at the base gate.

It is truly amazing to get close to these beasts and see for your own eyes what you've been staring at through tank mods all this time. :D

-Sarge

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

[QB]For a long time now I wanted to visit the Technik Museum in Sinsheim.

QB]

Dear Parabellum,

may I suggest the Panzermuseum at Munster. I´ve been there last year and it has Panzer III, Panzer IV, Sdkfz 251/9, Sturmpanzer IV "Brummbär",Königstiger, Wespe, Panther, Ladungsträger " Goliath",T 34/76B,Sherman Firefly,Schwerer Panzerspähwagen " Pakwagen", Hetzer, Jagdpanzer IV, Jagdpanther,Sturmgeschütz 40 G, all Pak´s,Kübelwagen, Kettenkrad, Schwimmwagen, Comet,Sdkfz 251 plus some more I dont remember.

All Tanks of the Bundeswehr and NVA, plus experimental models ( two gun Jagdpanzer !! ).

Plus uniforms from Guderian and Rommel, extensive Handweapons and Helmets , various equipment.

I´ve taken some photos and really you must see it.

Highly recommended.

Hi Scheer, thx.

Actually I've already been to the Panzermuseum in Münster before. Great variety of tanks, more than in Sinsheim, yep. But then, in Sinsheim are also planes, cars and other stuff, and most important, it's not so far away from where I live (Mannheim) ;) .

Münster is about 350km, so it's quite some trip.

If some people rather want to visit Münster, I think we could do this also.

But I think for the guys from southern Germany Sinsheim would be a good start.

Interesting stuff, not too far away.

Well, we'll see if there's interest at all...

edited because Münster is not the same as Munster, redface.gif and that one is about 500km from Mannheim. A bit distant for a saturday afternoon trip...

[ June 05, 2002, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Klingt gut!

Do you have a special date in mind ?

Another nice museum not too far away is the Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung(WTS) in Koblenz, which also has a big variety of tanks, planes and all kinds of weapons.

Marcus

As a passionate "museum tripper" (how does that sound in German?) I have been there of course. But I need some better pics and if we could meet up there it would be all the more fun of course.

And the city with the other tank museum is called "Munster", btw. "Münster" is a nice city too but at the opposite end of Germany.

Terminvorschläge?

Ooops, of course, Munster! It's been a few years since I've been there. And it's even farther away than Münster...

Terminvorschläge?

Just something to start with, how about June 15th (saturday), about 1 1/2 weeks from now.

To early? Comments?

And Warphead, in what kind of museum did you get your tripper? :D

[ June 05, 2002, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Originally quoted by parabellum

So, anyone interested in a trip to the museum, maybe on a Saturday afternoon, combined with a little visit to a nice Biergarten afterwards for some (not so) groggy talk?

would love to go if u paid my air fare lol,only joking.ps good luck with cameroon next week,u will need it,from a happy irish fan!!! tongue.gif

Ok, so far we got three guys interested. Mike8g, Warphead and K_Tiger. And me, that's four.

For me also both the 15th and 22nd would be OK.

K_Tiger, that's OK for you, too?

Since my car finally gave up last month I planned to go to Sinheim by rail. But hey, if someone manages to stop by in Mannheim, I wouldn't be too unhappy. smile.gif

And Kerry, sorry, no digicam here...

But I'm sure someone will bring along one.

[ June 06, 2002, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

I would be interested in joining as well. Could do the photo assignment as well but I do not shoot with a digicam. But I do have a scanner.

Weekends are OK with me, nothing planned yet. Just hope you guys don't want to start too early since I work nightshift until early Saturday morning, start off in Basle and will use the DB. On the other hand if you guys want to start early I could jump into the first train right after my shift...

And that idea with the beergarden sounds real good to me...*walks away and counts his remaining Euros*...

Marcus

tools4fools, you're welcome!

K_Tiger just emailed me that he could also make it both on 15th and 22nd, so I would propose to make the trip on June, 22nd.

Any suggestions on what time we should meet?

Again, just to start with something, how about 3 pm, 15 Uhr Mannheimer Standardzeit.

The museum is opened 'til 7pm, so we should have more than enough time.

BTW I guess it's time for some reconaissance in the Sinsheim region concerning Biergärten...

[ June 06, 2002, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Alright, 22. June booked for Sinsheim.

I'll take my digital photocam along with me.

I would propose an earlier start time, like 14:00 or 13:00. 4 hours sounds much, but with some talking and photo taking they might just be over in almost no time.

(I made this experience last summer in the Imperial War Museum in London).

Looking forward to it...

Marcus