Weapon loadout and Veteran status

Guest Manstein22

Guest Manstein22

I always was wondering why the weapon loadout for tanks,vehicles and soldiers is not influenzed by the experience of a unit. Lets look at the loadout of the Sturmgeschuetz which is 42 for the L48 Gun and was in reality up to 100 shells acording to Sturmartillerie by Kurowski.

My Uncle who was Schirrmeister ( sort of Tech Officer)in GD told me that every space available in a Tiger was full of ammo cause running out of ammo ment Sibiria and for that reason also a footsoldier like my dad filled his Brotbeutel (bread-bag) with handgrenades and ammo.

So why is it not possible to reflect this in CMBO

Originally posted by Manstein22:

... cause running out of ammo ment Sibiria and for that reason also a footsoldier like my dad filled his Brotbeutel (bread-bag) with handgrenades and ammo.

So why is it not possible to reflect this in CMBO

It is possible to relect this in CMBO. 40 'shots' is the default for infantry units, but it is not by any means hardcoded. Scenario designers can - and the good ones do - vary the ammo loadout of units within a scenario.

Regards

JonS

I have to agree with this one. In addition to the normal skills like moving quietly and shooting straight, higher quality units would tend to pick up some other important skills like:

Ammo conservation

Stealing stuff when available and holding onto it

I would fully expect crack troops to be better at finding, getting and keeping all sorts of supplies in rear areas when they get the chance leading to better small arms and especially faust loads ON AVERAGE.

Guest Manstein22

I didn`t talk about making a scenario. I know u can give more anno to soldiers but not to vehicles and tanks. I ment a quick battle where u can have by chance a good leader with different skills, so why not have different weapon loadout not only ammo mix.

GD means GrossDeutschland. For those who will have CMBB it will be a common abreviation

Guest Manstein22
Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

The lack of a campaign layer again makes it a bit unrealistic - a divisional supply officer is much more stingy of necessity with sending ammo up than a guy playing a computer game or designing a scenario....[/quote

I do not grab the meaning of that. In a single given battle for lets say 30 turns/minutes a crack unit would for sure take as much ammo as possible just with survival in mind.A unit without ammo breaks easier and surrenders or am I wrong?

I didn`t talk about making a scenario. I know u can give more anno to soldiers but not to vehicles and tanks. I ment a quick battle where u can have by chance a good leader with different skills, so why not have different weapon loadout not only ammo mix.

GD means GrossDeutschland. For those who will have CMBB it will be a common abreviation

Check out the link in my signature - http://members.shaw.ca/grossdeutschland/

If there is anything you would like to share, I am always looking for information for this site.

And if a unit uses up a division's daily allotment of ammo in 30 minutes, it isn't going to be very combat effective. In CM it is easy, you play a 30 minute battle and with the click of a button you give every unit maximum ammunition. In real life I suspect things were much different; especially for artillery and tank units whose ammunition was large and bulky. You are aware no doubt of the difficulties in getting supplies forward in Russia due to the rail system and poor road net, etc. I don't doubt veteran soldiers scrounged as much ammo as they could - how often would they be able to do this? It would be just as unrealistic to have all vehicles loaded to the gunwales with spare HE in every action. I don't doubt ammo was stockpiled for major offensives, but where do you draw the line? I would suggest BTS has opted for a "happy medium" but do agree with you that at least having an option to load up extra rounds be present - as long as it was not abused. Would it be something that one could pay extra for in a QB purchase for example? That's a bit unrealistic too, since if you know you are playing only a 1000 point QB, you know the enemy can't afford more than 3 or 4 tanks at most, and so you know beforehand - where a real life tank commander wouldn't - that you will never need more than 20 rounds of AP so you can stock up on HE instead.

you can change tank shell loadouts

Originally posted by russellmz:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Manstein22:

you can change tank shell loadouts</font>

Guest Manstein22

Then again, for a 30 minute engagement, is this really an issue? Loading up in this manner was usually done for a 24 hour period - or longer - in which many engagements might be conceivably fought

[/QB]

I realize I have some problems to get the quotes used in the right way. Can someone help me with this. :confused:

No probs. whenever you want to quote a piece of text simply precede it with (QUOTE) then type away then close off the quote by typing (/QUOTE). I have deliberately used round brackets in the above example to demonstrate what I mean but to get it to work you need to use the square bracket symbols instead.

Secondly, if you want to bold a quote, simply put after the (QUOTE) bit (QB)- standing for "quote bold" I presume, then finish it with (/QB) followed by (/QUOTE). Once again, using square brackets naturally.

Regards

jim R.