Some Questions

Okay-

What are rifle gernades? I keep on seeing them in the inventory of american infantry units, but I didn't know that they historicly existed. Are they kind of like nowadays RPG'S (rocket propelled gernades- pretty much like a panzerfaust, now that you think of it) or what and how do they work? Can they gernade a bunker slit from farther away and more accurately than regular gernades?

And does any german tank in the game have defensive mortars installed? You all, I trust, may on occasion seen pics of tanks (moderen) from the front. Often they have banks of small pipes sticking out at angles from the turret. Sometimes these are smoke dischargers, sometimes... they are small mortar launchers, meant to aid the M-guns on the tank in killing infantry intent on throwing a hand gernade on the rear deck of the tank and screwing up the enginge and the (gasp!) air circulation systems (if they are lucky, that is).

Let me know what you think!

Rifle grenades are a type of projectile grenade that is placed on the end of a rifle, usually with a special fitting adapter on the end of the barrel. I think a blank cartridge is used to fire the projectile into the air. For the U.S. there were two basic types of rifle grenedes: fragmentation and Anti-Tank, each using its own special adapter. The frag grenade was actually just a MKIIA1 hand grenade, the popular pineapple shaped grenade used by the infantry. The anti-tank grenade looks like the image that is shown in Combat Mission's unit information area (at the bottom of the screen). It uses a hollow charge explosive method to achieve its armor penetration. Combat Mission models the AT version, although it may also be used against infantry. I think CM models the armor penetration around 40-45mm.

Some of the German AFVs do have defensive mortars. I forget the german name for them, something I can't even come close to pronouncing. Many of the AFVs in CM do also model smoke mortars. The compuer AI decides when and if to use them. You will often see allied tanks pop smoke when they see a German tank that they know they can't kill.