Getting Hull Down

I have found some success by using the LOS tool, but unfortunately you need to be in a position to check it for hull-down. This is most useful during the setup phase, though.

The procedure:

1) Look around in view 1 to find likely HD spots (look for small bumps in the terrain or hill crests).

2) Place your tank in a spot you want to try.

3) Draw the LOS tool to the area you wish to taget/have HD status from.

4) If the LOS line appears to have a small hump (about 1/3-1/2 the height of the tank in realistic scale) immediately in front of your tank, but still gives you a clear LOS, you are *probably* in a HD position.

Notice, of course, that HD is relative and being HD from one point does not mean it is hull down from another direction.

------------------

Canada: Where men were men, unless they were horses.

-Dudley Do-right

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Craig Champagne:

I wish that there were a command available to get the AFV commander or driver to do this. After all, it seems like they should do this on their own, doesn't it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is an issue that's been covered at length - hence my earlier reply - and the basic facts are that defensive hull-down positions are much easier to attain that offensive hull-down positions.

When on the defensive have a long look around the map from the "4" scale, looking for positions which give good LOS onto expected avenues of apporach. Then go down to the "1" view and look for slopes you can position a vehicle behind. When you've found a good spot place the vehicle and then check the LOS across the front and along the expected avenue of approach. Place the vehicle as far behind the slope as you can, while maintaining a good LOS.

Offensive hull down, on the other hand, is much more difficult, as you don't have the luxury of shunting vehicles back and forth to make a good hull-down spot, and often you will either crest the ridge or be so far back you don't have the LOS you need. frown.gif

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sirocco:

Never heard that one! biggrin.gif

Ok, I'm curious, what does it mean..? wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It comes from an old, old Disney movie called "The Song of the South", a sort of regional Aesop's Fables that retells various stories having to do with the misadventures of Br'er Rabbit, Br'er Fox, and Br'er Bear.

In one episode, Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear have set a trap for Br'er Rabbit by creating a simulacrum of a baby out of tar and putting a hat and a shirt onto it. Br'er Rabbit comes along and spots the Tar Baby and politely greets him. Tar Baby says nothing. Br'er Rabbit protests this lack of manners. Tar Baby again says nothing. Br'er Rabbit, now incensed at this lack of common politesse, draws back his fist and strikes the Tar Baby. His fist of course becomes stuck in the tar. Struggling to free himself, he strikes with his other fist, which also becomes stuck in the tar. The more he struggles to extricate himself, the more enmeshed (if that's the right word) he becomes. Finally, Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear spring from the nearby bushes where they have been hiding and barely able to contain their glee, they take Br'er Rabbit prisoner.

So....the Tar Baby has since become a symbol of an intractable problem that becomes more entangling the more you struggle with it. For me, the story of Br'er Rabbit and the Tar Baby is often called to mind as I observe some of the longer arguments on this board that go round and round without ever resolving anything, often with the debaters not even comprehending each other's points.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 09-11-2000).]

Guest Michael emrys

Uncle Remus is a character in the story, the narrator actually. I've never seen the original book, but I think it too was called The Song of the South.

Michael