Schrullenhaft - Pavlov's House - Awesome!

Spoiler

Just finished playing this one TCP/IP and must say this is one of the funnest CM experiences I've ever had.

Also this was definately some of the most fierce, brutal and violent combat I have ever experienced in the CM world. It completely felt like the fighting in Stalingrad.

After playing a week now I have to say how annoying those ATR's are. They constantly have me biting my nails praying for my crews not to be slowly picked off. They harrassed me from across the square almost the entire battle.

The scariest thing was the Red Air Force attack. My god! Didn't see that coming. The new air effects are totally amazing. Seeing my panzer III's get rocketed was breathtaking, and nerve racking.

I achieved a minor victory as the germans. The pioneers were the key. I moved my rifle platoons in two groups to move in a classic pincher move. After getting into place I waited til the pioneers came up, blew the mines by the rubble and wire by Pavlov's house. That opened the door and I punched on in. Here was some of the most brutal combat ever. The firefight that ensued between the russians in the rubble and the building and my assaulting pioneers `and two platoons of rifle infantry was something to behold. It was fierce, short and totally violent. Amazing.

My attack on the other side didn't fair as well, my opponent was dug in well on that side. Tried to break through and roll the panzers up to support but that is when the friendly russian air power blew in and ended that plan. Turned into a plinking match across the mines and open ground leading into the 13th Gds HQ.

All in all one of my favorite battles.

Thanks!

smile.gif

[ October 01, 2002, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: Lord Dragon ]

This battle is a good example of the need for "reccomended play as" directions in the description. I was playing against the AI, and as the briefing focussed on the Russians and I like desperate urban defence battles, I played the Russkis in the absence of any reccomendation.

Sadly it was all over by Turn 3/30. I'd picked off the key units in the German attack with some well-sighted assets, and after that, it just became a case of how many Krauts I could kill. Flags were never under threat. Won a total with 5 casualties to 211!

It shouldn't be too much trouble to include a play reccomendation in ALL of the disk scenarios rather than just leaving it up to the individual author.

I lucked out I guess. Chose this one at random to play tcp/ip and my opponent and myself wanted to try a stalingrad scenario.

Sucks it didn't work out for you, for me it truly was one the funnest battles I have ever played. I only lost one of my panzer III's during the entire battle. And that was to the russian air power. Another was immobolized but had full view across the entire square.

One of the coolest things that happened was after my HQ tank was strafed and immobilized, the crew deciding against sitting in a large metal target and ditched out to find cover in the nearby rubble. The realism is astounding. I would have done the same thing seeing that plane circling back for another run. I secretely congratulated them on getting out and couldn't even be PO'd that they didn't stick around manning their weapons.

smile.gif