This'd be a poll...

Originally posted by Lou2000:

smile.gif

======================

posted by Saddam_#24

"The huge maps won't be a problem, with computing power like today's. The only real limitation is when there are too many units in a battle."

....... Great - big maps with few units ... that should be fun and VERY representative of modern warfare!!!

=========================

posted by Saddam_#24

"the other stuff Lou2000 mentioned could be programmed in and would not affect the gameplay element. "

......OHT targetting ESM and ECM - - To say that these would not impact on gameplay is crazy ...

on the modern digital battlefield these things are deciding factors and cannot be seperated from

the troops on the ground with 'sensor to shooter' information systems becoming increasingly common place they cannot be easily left out of any game that hopes to do justice to modern warfare. BFC know all this and have represented is well in Tacops 4

====================

posted by Saddam_#24

"For a start choppers would either be like fighter bombers you controll or like a fast M3 Halftrack that can cross any terrain."

....You make a statement like this and then talk about 'realism' in the next sentance ...amazing ! :eek:

=======================

posted by EricM

"If possible why not '39-43 Europe and Western Desert. You could have all those neat early tanks

that just did not work out (Matilda 1 comes to mind). It probably would not be too hard to have

both european terrain and desert terrain designed into the game."

....I agree ... North Africa and Europe together would be a good and viable option ...

I'd love to play CM in the desert. smile.gif

I just dont think North Africa alone presents much in the way of variable terain.

==================

posted by Firefly

"Perhaps they'll set it the real North Africa rather than the Hollywood version"

.....Well last time i was on exercise in North Africa ( Ex Brightstar - Egypt) the terrain

(coastal and inland) seemed to be fairly realistic ! and i seem to remember lots of rocks

and sand ... dont recall any hollywood film crews in the area though :D

Gentlement ... please dont take these responses as 'flames' they are not intended

that way .... many of these topic have been discussed at length in other forums.

And most if not all options have been raised by others with similar views

Im still convinced we'll see CM3 remaining in WW2 time period ... an era the game

was designed for and is best suited to. I believe there is more milage in discussing

new features that we would like to see in the engine rewrite....

I stand firmly behind the whole ww2 game concept from the invasion of Poland ... (yes there were things prior to that but they were mainly political annexations) ...through to the fall of Berlin, Including the western desert, mediterranean europe & Islands, Balkans, amphibious warfare ( a special interest of mine!) and revist the E and W fronts.

Lou2000 tongue.gif

America would love to have everyone think that war is so hi-tech today, and that their soldiers are safe due to all the digital equipment they throw arround. But basically war is no different now to how it was in the 1940s. The only real differences are physical. Weapons are more accurate and have a higher rate of fire, and tank's armour slopes are better so that more shots glance off. Yes the armour is thicker but the shells are better to make up for it. If everything is really so high tech, then how come "Friendly fire" is still so common.

As for the choppers being like fast halftracks or fighter bombers, I don't see how you can argue with that. Because that's how they behave! One lot are a fast and safe, but noisy, way to transport troops (and give them a little support with MGs). Like a a halftrack. The other lot fly arround firing big weapons at anything they see and think is an enemy. Like a fighter bomber. :D

The "soft under-belly of Europe" is where this game needs to go...

North Africa, Crete (especially Crete), Sicily, Italy, Greece, and the former Yugoslav republics dictate an expanse of the game's terrain modeling, but the wholesale game engine changes could lean towards other theaters/time periods.

1939-1940 Poland and France would be good as well. I would love to design something for Operation Sealion, but alas, amphib landings have there drawbacks in CM.

I would have to vote for Norway, the low countries, france 1940 and then there would definately have to be an operation covering a Fictictious Battle of Britain, Instead of a fighter/bomber silloute :( imagine the shadow planes dropping paratroops, random landing zones, demolishing dikes and such wouldnt it be COOL :D