Changing map size, unit placement bug?

Hi!

Yesterday I tried increasing the map size of one of my own scenarios. I added the new empty space to the left side of the map and no problem there - BUT when I previewed the map, I noticed that the units had NOT stayed in their places. IMO if I place a machine gun inside a building and then make the map say 200 m wider, shouldn't the machine gun still be in the building and not 200 meters away from it?

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

How did you manage to add space there?

I assume by "left" you mean west...

AFAIK all changes in map size work on the north and east edges, so adding size will provide extra area to the east and/or north edge.

Unit placements seem to be relative to the SW corner of the map, which is most probably what's your problem.

Had you edited nothing but adding space, then the unit should be in place. But I think you had to move all terrain a couple of squares eastward, thus leaving the troops behind...

Cheers

Olle

Yes, I meant west = left. You can add space to south and west edges by pressing SHIFT while clicking those "ChangeSize" buttons. I learnt that recently by reading some CM2 suggestion thread smile.gif And I'm using version 1.12 in case that matters.

I didn't do any other editing. What seemed to happen there, was that terrain tile coordinates were increased by say 200 meters, but the unit coordinates were not updated. So I had to go through all units and move them to their original positions. Lots of work frown.gif

Also, if you change the orientation of the attacker all of the units get placed back on the map edge. Very annoying.

I don't think these are bugs, just annoying traits of the map builder.

Thanks for the info on the shift key to increase the map size on the west and south, I didn't know that.

Originally posted by Pak40:

...Thanks for the info on the shift key to increase the map size on the west and south, I didn't know that.

Thanks! I never noticed that either. Yep the troops shifting is anoying, but at least you can increase the size form either side.