Fieldartillery

Originally posted by Puff the Magic Dragon:

a) a technical question: is the on-map field artillery we have in CM able to fire indirect - I mean in reality? Or were they all build only for direct fire?

B) Why has on map artillery no minimum range like mortars? I think they can also use only a minimum charge, so the shell would always fly at least ... meters?

OOH! OOH! I know!

a) The on-map artillery was, for the most part, designed for indirect fire.

B) Because in direct fire mode you can depress the pointy end of the cannon and shoot at something as close as you like.

Most on-map artillery in CMBO is represented as firing over open sights, i.e. direct fire. The exception of course is mortars firing under the control of command units. Indirect fire by any weapon would, to some degree, involve a minimum range as the rounds are lobbed over intervening distance to the target. CMBO is not presently configured to represent non-mortar unit indirect fire missions from on-map units. This is unfortunate and has been discussed extensively in the past in other threads. I'd love to be able to use the M-8 HMC or the Sherman/105 in the indirect mode, but alas, this is not currently possible.

[ March 02, 2002, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: gunnergoz ]

Originally posted by Puff the Magic Dragon:

Well, I have my abacuse not around, but I guess to fire so close would make it necessary

- to rise the whole gun to bring the barrel in the right angle

- to be a full time idiot, cause you are trying to blow your own ass off ;)

You can KO yourself in CM by firing too close. Believe me, it can happen.